Best 29er hardtail for £750 cycle2work voucher?

Rikshaw
Rikshaw Posts: 2
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi
I haven't ridden in a long time but my kids are off and running on bikes now and I'm keen to join them!

I want a decent bike that will cover all the bases but in reality, I'll mostly be on trails, light off-road and the occasional trip to centre parcs! That said I won't buy another bike for a long time so I want the best I can get for the £750 voucher I just received through cycle2work. Hopefully, I will even get the bug and get out a bit more?!

Think the 29er hard tail gives me the best compromise but will listen to advice?

Though its supposed to be Halfords, I have heard I can us an LBS or at least order any bike through Halfords?

The Boardman's get good reviews but I quite like the Cube bikes. I've read a number if reviews and forum posts but many are quite old and the bikes seem to change each year so keen to get up to date views - any advice much appreciated! Also, how important is an air fork for my proposed riding, especially given it will be a budget one at that price?

Thanks

Comments

• heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Voodoo 29ers? Haven't had any through the door but the 26ers come highly rated. Obviously competent on how your local Halfords are.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Really does depend on the exact retailer you can use, as bargains vary.

But hard to go wrong with the Boardman range.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    Cube Acid is around 769 so just out of range. Unless you can find a place that will take the vouchers and also allow you to leave a "deposit",

Otherwise Boardman...but do they do a 29er yet?
  • cameronb
    cameronb Posts: 102
    If your works scheme is through halfords then it's leisure lakes that supply alternative bikes, I used the shop in Nottingham for the same thing last year you just phone halfords and tell them what bike you're getting off them if you decide to do it.
  • I just got a Trek Mamba, haven't tried it properly yet but felt good & looks the business.

http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/1058 ... -bike-2013
  • Macdory
    Macdory Posts: 113
    I have just bought a Cannondale Trail SL2 29'er in Black ... £750 at Paulscycles (just got it last Thursday)

Linky to review - http://mbaction.com/Main/News/26er-Vers ... -4713.aspx

Great looking bike (IMO), and i'm very pleased with the move to 29'er - it just makes the boring road bits to get to the trails a bit easier, although i'm not really buying the bit about it smoothing out the bumps too well ... it can still be bone jarring at times!

Well worth a look for a 10-speed at a good price.

Although I would recommend trying a 29'er for size before ordering - I have previously gone for a large/19" MTB's in the past, but a Medium in the Cannondale is spot on for me at 5'11"