I.S. to centre lock adaptor

brindlescoops
brindlescoops Posts: 465
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

Like a chump, I bought a pair of demo bike hope floating rotors in 6 bolt I.S format on a whim for a Bike I dont use much, like a muppet I assumed they were 6 bolt, but they are in fact centre lock. I have even bought the correct hope post to post mount so am quite a few quid down so far. I have seen an adaptor the fits to,the disc to turn them into centrelock, has anyone used such an adaptor, are they any good, do they work well, or should I cut my losses and stick em on ebay?

Cheers! :oops:
My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Adapters are fine, some better than others. It is the rotors I'd worry about
  • Adapters are fine, some better than others. It is the rotors I'd worry about

They are about 4 miles old and off a guy I know very well, would have been sold with the bike but the new owner wanted different colours.

Which adaptors are better than others?
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So to be clear your first statement is false and not needed?

You want to know about fitting hope floaters spline fitting to a IS 6 bolt wheel?

You then go on about adaptors to allow 6 bolt rotors to fit a splined hub.

What are you on about.

What are you wanting to fit to what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Hi,

Like a chump, I bought a pair of demo bike hope floating rotors in 6 bolt I.S format on a whim for a Bike I dont use much, like a muppet I assumed they were 6 bolt, but they are in fact centre lock.
    is this the discs?
    I have even bought the correct hope post to post mount so am quite a few quid down so far.[\quote] is this important?
    I have seen an adaptor the fits to,the disc to turn them into centrelock, has anyone used such an adaptor, are they any good, do they work well, or should I cut my losses and stick em on ebay?

Many will not work with floating rotors and most don't work with hope floaters.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    So to be clear your first statement is false and not needed?

You want to know about fitting hope floaters spline fitting to a IS 6 bolt wheel?

You then go on about adaptors to allow 6 bolt rotors to fit a splined hub.

What are you on about.

What are you wanting to fit to what?

Contructive, thanks.

The first statement is correct, I made it so I didn't have to deal with the inevitable why dont you return them posts.

Your second post is helpful though thanks, I am guessing you read the original post properly! I guess I'll just sell them on of the floating 6 bolt Hope rotors cant be converted to centre lock.

Cheers.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Which part of the statement is correct - being a chump or a muppet?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Which part of the statement is correct - being a chump or a muppet?

Both, generally more chump than muppet, I think its since I have been spending so much time at Swinley mixing with the locals though. ;-)
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I think I can see the area of confusion . . .
    Hi,

Like a chump, I bought a pair of demo bike hope floating rotors in 6 bolt I.S format on a whim for a Bike I dont use much, like a muppet I assumed they were 6 bolt, but they are in fact centre lock. I have even bought the correct hope post to post mount so am quite a few quid down so far. I have seen an adaptor the fits to,the disc to turn them into centrelock, has anyone used such an adaptor, are they any good, do they work well, or should I cut my losses and stick em on ebay?

If the highlighted "they" refers to the hubs on the bike that the OP doesn't use much, it all comes together.

Anyway - OP: you've bought something you don't particularly need (discs), you can either sell them and recoup some money, or throw more money at the situation. I'd keep the post-post adapters, sell the discs you've bought, and look for some other discs with the right fitting. But that's just me.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • erm, am i right in thiking that you have purchased some 6 bolt rotors and your wheels are shimano centrelock??

if so would you be looking for something like this??
    http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/shimano- ... 53264.html

or a little cheaper
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_ ... cts_id=264

if not, appologies for adding any More confusion??
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481