Giant XTC - RIP

rockmonkeysc
rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
edited June 2013 in Your mountain bikes
32588_10200471926554006_1869351805_n.jpg

Here's my latest project. I have a few long distance (50km+) XC rides planned for this summer so I wanted a more suitable frame. As much as I loved riding my old On-One 456SS it was a bit small and a bit heavy so I got this frame on ebay for a very reasonable price. At the moment it's built up with the parts from the On-One but I will eventually get around to fitting more suitable components.
This is a bit of a trial for me, I have never had a bike like this before, I have always gone for more aggressive bikes. If I get on with this one then I will get either a more modern XTC frame or maybe an Anthem frame.

The build at the moment:

Frame - 2009 Giant XTC 20" aluminium.
Headset - FSA Orbit
Forks - Rockshox Pike 454 dual air u-turn (wound down to 110mm)
Wheels - Mavic XM719 rims on Superstar Switch Evo hubs
Tyres - Nobby Nic 2.1"
Cranks - Shimano Deore - 26/36/bash
Pedals - Shimano XT
Bottom bracket - Shimano XTR
Front Mech - Shimano SLX
Rear mech - Shimano SLX 9 speed
Cassette - Shimano SLX 9 speed
Chain - SRAM
Seatpost - Giant Connect
Stem - Specialized angle adjust 80mm
Bars - FSA Gravity 720mm, 25mm rise
Saddle - Charge Spoon
Grips - ODI Ruffian
Shifters - Shimano SLX
Brakes - Avid Juicy Seven with Straitline levers & Goodridge hoses. 203mm front 160mm rear.

First upgrade will be some Rockshox Reba's then either Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron's with Trailrakers or Fire XC for wet weather. My wife has bought me a set of Deore brakes but I have to wait for my birthday!

It's actually more fun to ride than I expected and much faster and more responsive than anything I have owned before. I did my local XC loop in record time first time out on it.
I always said I would never buy another aluminium frame because they are too harsh but this one is far more comfortable than my steel On-One frame was. So far I quite like it though a 37 mile ride this Saturday could change that.

Comments

• mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    looking cool

how did the 37 miler turn out?

rebas should make the front end a bit lighter and more lively:)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice build really coming from a 456, obviously the Pikes are stand out as not in keeping, yes Reba's sound a decent compromise, especailly if you can get some slightly older ones which were better specced (according to SS) than the latest ones.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Nice build! I've got a Reba SL listed on eBay at the moment if you're interested, Steerer tube is cut to 194mm which was perfect of my Anthem 0 (which is also on eBay.
    PM me if you want pics etc.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Thanks for the comments. The 37 mile epic across the Purbecks was excellent, a great route and this bike made it easy. It just eats miles and I'm able to attack climbs in a way I had never even imagined I could.
    It's also surprisingly good down fast, winding single track. I can really throw it through turns and I was even happy throwing it sideways over some natural hips and whipping over rollers and doubles.
    At the moment I'm really enjoying it but with the way I ride I'm not sure how long the frame will last!
    I'm looking out for a set of older Reba's with a 20mm maxle as I'm not sure that the Superstar hubs will be very stiff with a QR axle.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have some proper upgrades to go on this weekend. I'm off in to the garage with a set of Rockshox Reba RL's, a set of Shimano Deore brakes and a bottle of Glenlivet :-)
    Will update with photo's next week.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    I'm off in to the garage with a set of Rockshox Reba RL's, a set of Shimano Deore brakes and a bottle of Glenlivet :-)
    does that give them more bite than the standard mineral oil ? :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • BigDave
    BigDave Posts: 2
    Here's my 2003 model XTC custom built by me owned since new, XT mechs, xt shifters xt wheelset Tubeless centre lock, & XT chain set, sram redwin cassette. Rockshox Revelation 85 - 130, Avid Juicy 7 brakes 203 / 185 rotors centre lock conversion, giant contact seatpost, giant connect sl stem and bars. small block 8 ust tyres. done 1000's of miles on it over the last 10 years and loved every minute, my longest ride out in a day was 85.5 miles!

Giant XtC Custom Built
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    I have some proper upgrades to go on this weekend. I'm off in to the garage with a set of Rockshox Reba RL's, a set of Shimano Deore brakes and a bottle of Glenlivet :-)
    Will update with photo's next week.

Well? :wink:
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Still recovering from the Glenlivet probably!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    edited May 2013
    Sorry for the overdue pic. The sun came out so I went climbing :D Cheddar Gorge on a sunny day is the best place in the world to climb 8)

947056_10200630824646359_186833766_n.jpg

Brakes are a massive improvement over the old Juicy Sevens. Much more powerful and with better feel. The forks are more of a weight saving than a performance improvement. I'm going to get them Push tuned when they get serviced over the winter, I want them to feel as nice as the old Pikes did. Still a very good fork but after a Pushed Pike and my awesome BoXXer R2C2's they don't quite feel as good as I would like. Need to get some travel spacers as well to drop them to 100mm.
    Next upgrades are a set of Rocket Rons, a new seatpost (so the wife can have hers back) and eventually a carbon XTC frame.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nice old XTC there BigDave 8)
  • BigDave
    BigDave Posts: 2
    Nice old XTC there BigDave 8)

Thanks Mate, She's old and I've rebuilt her a few times over the years but she rides great. Yours is looking pretty sweet 8)
    Giant XtC Custom Built
  • rockmonkeysc
    I rode it at the Heaven of the South event yesterday. 75km of costwold hills (5900 feet climbing) with some brutal climbs and wicked descents ending with the cider challenge, half a pint of isotonic racing cider then straight in to a two mile climb!
    The bike was perfect for the ride, light and sharp. Climbing really well and great fun on the miles of singletrack and comfortable enough for nearly seven hours in the saddle.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Well it looks like the XTC frame wasn't quite up to my "enthusiastic" riding style. The drive side drop out snapped last night.

Time to look for a new frame. Something bouncy this time I think.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    At the moment I'm really enjoying it but with the way I ride I'm not sure how long the frame will last!

Not even 2 months!
  • rockmonkeysc
    anj132 wrote:

Not even 2 months!

To be fair I abused it. Flat out down rocky trails, six foot drops and whips are not what this frame was designed to put up with! I bought it for epic all day rides, which I have done but long rides don't stop you doing silly things.
    The search for it's replacement is on