What is this bit called & can it be fixed?

unquestioned
unquestioned Posts: 172
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
So I thought my crank was done, but nope.

It's the pivot (unsure if it's the correct name) that connects the rear arm to the frame, it has completely collapsed & is flapping around like a naked old man running down the stairs.

It's a Carrera Titan LTD so I took it to Halfords but the manager didn't know about bikes & the resident bike tech seemed to show no interest & just said they'd see if they could get the part, he's also useless as I went in & asked a simple question about tires 2 weeks ago & he just said 'smooth ones are faster, I don't know, I just fix the bikes' so I have no confidence there.

Anyway, as the bike was a limited run, the rear arm setup is completely different from any other halfords full sus bike & it's over a year old which is also when they stopped selling it, what do you think my chances are of it being fixed for a reasonable price? Keeping in mind it cost £300 to begin with.

Only original parts on it are the seatpost, rear cassette, rims & front crank aswell so that probably isn't in my favour.

Any help appreciated.

Oh should add, I'm also on a time scale as I'm using it for Maggies Bike & Hike in 2 weeks & wondering if I'd be better off buying a new bike. (not a halford one)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Take it to a proper bike shop.

If the bearings have gone they should be able to replace them

If it is the bolt then yes as well.

Pics of the issue would have helped.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Take it to a proper bike shop.

If the bearings have gone they should be able to replace them

If it is the bolt then yes as well.

Pics of the issue would have helped.

I have a video, not much to see though. I thought the bolt may have been loose so tightened it but had the same issue. The whole rear arm shifts left to right, it also has movement in all directions aswell, is incredibly loose. I'd think bearings collapsed.
    Are these a generic part for most bikes or are there very specific bearings to each bike?

It should still be under warranty which is why I took it to Halfords, if they quote me what I deem a stupid price then I'll just take it back.
    It needs a new crank & cassette anyway before I'd be happy with it so may just strip it & buy the cannondale that keeps winking at me.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    There's hundreds (maybe thousands) of bearings. However they almost always have a number stamped into the plastic polo shaped bit on the side with it on. Take this number to any generic bearing shop and if they don't have it in stock they could probably get one for you.

I wouldn't expect the pivots that go through the bearings to be available off the shelf in the same way, but a bike shop should be able to sort you out with something if they can't order a spare from the manufacturer.
  • Thanks people :)

I shall see how it goes when Halfords call me asking for over 9000 for a bearing.
    May just have to sell a car to get a new bike... I have more cars than I need.
  • Well Halfords called me back & said 'it's completely broken, we are ordering in a part for it' didn't give me a price mind.

By end of day Friday, they still said they hadn't ordered it so since I had just bought a new bike that day (Trek Mamba) told them to sack it.

Went to pick it up & went in by Lidl to get the toolkit they have for sale so I could strip all the parts from it. Tech was bloody clueless & bike didn't look like it had been touched.
    Got it home, now I had the crank removal tool, took that off so I could get access to the pivot & what do you know? It was loose, nothing else :|

Now ok, I may be a bit noobish here & should have checked it myself but I didn't have the tools & it was still under warranty for labour at Halfords so thought they could check it. Also no other bike shop is available to me due to my location & work hours. But the lazyness of the Halfords tech astounds me that they didn't even check the bike, just made an assumption. Bit pissed at it really. Now I have 2 bike!

Anyway, that's the end of my story & a lesson learnt.