Drive chain problem (Video included)

Uthikoloshe
Uthikoloshe Posts: 3
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

After the winter I took my bike to the shop to fix the drive train which had been ruined by the salt from winter. I asked them to fix. They swapped my XT cassette for a new one, and put a new chain on. Now the rear mech bounces forward as seen in my video. My initial asking aty the shop was met with "Yeah that's chain suck, and if you change the freeride hub, that should fix it"

http://youtu.be/M2SCgmJwd5k

Any clues? I assume that the rear mech can only come forward if the chain follows a different path. So either :-

-The chain (which isn't shimano) is being picked up by the higher cog on the rear mech, or
-the chain ring is picking it up

Comments

• Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    Looks to me like you might have worn chainring(s) on your chainset. They should've picked up on that when doing your gears.
  • I thought so myself. I suggested it as a solution. I even asked for it to be checked when i dropped it in. They think it is fine.

Further things of interest are that it wont do it unless its being ridden. Works fine on a stand. It didn't have that fault with the old gear.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Chain suck.

Often appears when the chain is changed on a worn crankset.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    Sounds like a classic case of the bike mechanic not bothering to test ride the bike, as you say in a stand it works perfect.

"It didn't have that fault with the old gear."

Helps to confirm it is most likely worn chainring(s) definately take the bike back and have a word with the shop manager. Hopefully they will replace the chainrings free of charge, after all it's caused you inconvenience!
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    That's better than most people's trail videos.
  • Mine does that since I got a new chain too... so there's another part I need to fix :(