Accident on Battersea Park Road this morning

skinnypunter
skinnypunter Posts: 144
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi all

I was riding in this morning and just after leaving the lights at the jn of Battersea Bridge Rd & Battersea Park Rd a guy had a nasty crash. I hung around with others until the ambulance came (quickly, too!).

Wondered if anyone on here saw / helped with the aftermath / knows the guy who crashed and if he's OK? Just wanted to make sure he's OK.

TTFN
Ed

Comments

• Hi there,

I think that was me! I wiped out there about 8:30 on Wednesday morning. I can't remember the impact or much else until later in A&E, but I have a feeling my chain came off while I had all my weight on the nearside pedal and I went careering into a lamppost.

If this was the same incident then thanks for stopping. I have a glimpse memory of another cyclist asking me where I worked and not being able to remember, so maybe that was you. The lady in the flat next to the bus stop looked after my bike til I came back for it later, which was a good job. Not sure what would have happened to it otherwise.

I was pretty out of it with concussion for a couple of hours. I had an X ray on my hand and a CT scan for brain bleeds but they came back clear, huge relief. By the time I was released from hospital and got home it was 17:30, so that'll teach me to keep the bike maintained!

Thanks again for stopping. I don't know if you saw which parts of me hit the lamppost but I still feel like I've been through a mangle. And I think after 4 years that's the end of cycling to work. If I'd have fallen right instead of left things would have been a lot worse...

Cheers
    Jason
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Hi there,

I think that was me! I wiped out there about 8:30 on Wednesday morning. I can't remember the impact or much else until later in A&E, but I have a feeling my chain came off while I had all my weight on the nearside pedal and I went careering into a lamppost.

If this was the same incident then thanks for stopping. I have a glimpse memory of another cyclist asking me where I worked and not being able to remember, so maybe that was you. The lady in the flat next to the bus stop looked after my bike til I came back for it later, which was a good job. Not sure what would have happened to it otherwise.

I was pretty out of it with concussion for a couple of hours. I had an X ray on my hand and a CT scan for brain bleeds but they came back clear, huge relief. By the time I was released from hospital and got home it was 17:30, so that'll teach me to keep the bike maintained!

Thanks again for stopping. I don't know if you saw which parts of me hit the lamppost but I still feel like I've been through a mangle. And I think after 4 years that's the end of cycling to work. If I'd have fallen right instead of left things would have been a lot worse...

Cheers
    Jason

Glad your ok.

Dont let it be the end though, calm down, get fixed and then get back in the saddle. This could of happened at anytime not just the commute.

Get straight back on the horse...

Good Luck
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I think that was me!

Well, what we thought at one point was a corpse claimed to be called Jason, so it's definitely you.

Really glad you're OK. Shook me up at the time,

I was ahead of you, and just heard a huge bang and a scream. Apparently the bang was you hitting a bit of the bus stop (you smashed the red letter sign with some part of you), and the scream was someone AT the bus stop. One of the guys who had been behind you said that you seemed to skid suddenly - you'd been cycling at a fair whack beforehand, so I assume you were doing the same speed off the lights.

There was a whole crowd of people there - 2 phoned for the ambulance. I'm afraid I was mainly occupied with trying to stop you move or try to get up, because we didn't know which bits of you might have been broken. First thing you said (when you started to make sense) was "Please could you stop sitting on me?". I apologize if I inflicted any bruises - just wanted to keep you out of a wheel chair! The little old lady said she used to be a nurse, and she did a bang up job of calming you down & getting your name.

I know you must be shaken up. I had 2 crashes in short succession many years ago, and it put me off for ages. It's worth getting back on though.

So you're Ok - what about the bike?

Take care & hope to see you back on the CS8 soon.

Ed
  • Haha! That made us laugh here. Thanks for holding me down. I hope I was polite and co-operative in my delirious state.

A corpse?! So I was completely unconscious then? It's interesting to hear more about what actually happened. I've still got pain in my whole torso so I guess I must have chest bumped the bus stop. Lucky I didn't hit someone waiting for the bus.

Oddly the bike is fine. The cover had come off my front light, which someone kindly put in my rucksack, but other than that and the chain being off, no visible marks at all. Also I'd ripped the knee on my new lycra tights, but actually they were too tight anyway (£12 from Sports Direct, amazing value).

These things do make you stop and think that cycling you're quite close to death a lot of the time, and with a second baby due in 2 weeks I'd say I won't be needing a new crash helmet for quite a while! Which is a shame cos cycling to work is great in the summer.

Cheers
    Jason
  • Completely out of it for a short while. Then you started moaning and sort of fitting, which was feckin scary, followed by an extended period of trying to get up, string words together, focus your eyes and generally get to grips with the essential questions; ' where am I?', 'who am I?', and 'why are lot looking at me?'.

All we needed was a philosophy lecturer, and there was a BBC4 series ready to be filmed.

2nd baby, eh? Well, perhaps a gradual return to cycling IS best for you.

Ed
  • Blimey, I didn't know that. That is scary. I wonder if the doctor at the hospital knew about the fitting?! Sounds like I was worse than I thought.

Certainly explains the persistent headache!
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Glad you're ok Jason. Get the headache checked if it persists. Hope you will eventually return to cycling but wishing you all the best with your new baby in the meantime.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Blimey, I didn't know that. That is scary. I wonder if the doctor at the hospital knew about the fitting?! Sounds like I was worse than I thought.

Certainly explains the persistent headache!

Glad your OK after the accident, as long as the symptoms do not continue I wouldn't worry that much about the fitting as is quite common for this to happen. Though you might want to consider talking to your GP about being tested for Epilepsy and explaining the circumstances of your accident.

Good luck with the baby BTW
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • fun223
    fun223 Posts: 1
    I am in the US and after reading about your accident I had to register and reply as I had almost the exact same kind of accident on a bike. It all seems like a dream in that I was riding my bike home from work March 15 and all I remember is waking up briefly in an ambulance, then passing out again,then waking in the ER with a broken arm and a head wound near my right eye. Apparently the ER people had to knock me out to set my left arm/wrist. 11 stitches were needed, but for the life of me I have no idea what happened(concussion).If I died I wouldn't have even known it.