Vos wins again

ademort
ademort Posts: 1,924
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Who else but Marianne Vos wins the womens version of the Fleche Wallonne event.
Ademort
ademort
Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
Giant Defy 4
Mirage Columbus SL
Batavus Ventura

Comments

• Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    everyone fawns over MV, and I can understand why, but at what point does her utter dominance become less about how great she is, and more a sad indictment of the state of women's racing?
  • ademort
    We could say that about Usain Bolt in the 100m. Marianne Vos will be a cycling legend by the time she finishes her career.Womens cycling is not in any sorry state it just happens to have probably the best woman cyclist of all time in it,s ranks at the moment and rather than say it,s boring or uninteresting i prefer to watch her for what she is.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    anyone got any good clips of monkey tennis?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Crozza
    Bolt does occasionally get beaten. he also doesn't turn up and destroy everyone over 400m, 1500m and cross-country
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Crozza wrote:
    everyone fawns over MV, and I can understand why, but at what point does her utter dominance become less about how great she is, and more a sad indictment of the state of women's racing?

Not sure that's a fair assessment. By the same argument, in the Merckx era everyone else was crap, incl. riders like Gimondi, Zoetemelk, Ocana, etc.

There's no question it doesn't have the depth of talent as men's cycling, but there's plenty of decent women cyclists. It's just they're riding against probably the best cyclist of all time.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Crozza
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Crozza wrote:

Not sure that's a fair assessment. By the same argument, in the Merckx era everyone else was crap, incl. riders like Gimondi, Zoetemelk, Ocana, etc.

There's no question it doesn't have the depth of talent as men's cycling, but there's plenty of decent women cyclists. It's just they're riding against probably the best cyclist of all time.

I am no bike historian, did Mercx win every single race he entered (for a period of time)? I always thought he won an awful lot, but not 100% of races

I am happy to be wrong, I hope I am, I just wanted to ask the question as I have no idea
  • No idea what the overall win ratio was for Merckx, but for each year it's as follows...

1965: 13%
    1966: 21%
    1967: 23%
    1968: 24%
    1969: 33%
    1970: 37%
    1971: 45%
    1972: 39%
    1973: 37%
    1974: 27%
    1975: 25%
    1976: 13%
    1977: 14%
    1978: 0%
  • And here are Vos' stats.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/14 ... os-Details

2013 - 5 - 4
    2012 - 44 - 20
    2011 - 50 - 31
    2010 - 63 - 17
    2009 - 60 - 18
    2008 - 26 - 9

(year - race days - wins)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    And here are Vos' stats.

http://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/14 ... os-Details

2013 - 5 - 4
    2012 - 44 - 20
    2011 - 50 - 31
    2010 - 63 - 17
    2009 - 60 - 18
    2008 - 26 - 9

(year - race days - wins)

But someone on the internet has just said that she wins every race she takes part in! Any information on Longo and Burton as I'm not convinced Vos is the greatest female cyclist of all time (yet). Obviously there was less continental racing for women in Burton's day but much of what she achieved remains incredible even today, half a century on. I also realise that Longo's career will now be tainted but she was still head and shoulders above anyone else for years. Van Moorsel was fairly dominant too.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Day 1 - win F-W
    Day 2 - Fly to California
    Day 3 - remember how to ride MTB
    Day 4 - Win totally different race - http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/us-pro ... ck/results

FFS!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    ddraver wrote:
    Yes, Got it. !
    Track, TT's, Road, Cyclo Cross and now Mountain Biking.
    She has to be the Merckx of womens cycling.
    Perhaps the Long Track during this weekend.

As good as Beryl was, she couldn't diversify as much as Longo or Vos.
    She had to ride against men (she past this boy for 6 mins in a 25) and those Testosterone ?women? from Eastern Europe.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • ddraver
    I had hoped that MTBing would be too technical for her and I could wallow in a sense of smug superiority as she got her (admittedly rather nice) ass handed to her by the MTB girls

Well shut my mouth....
    - @ddraver
  • deejay wrote:
    Perhaps the Long Track during this weekend.
    ddraver wrote:
    I had hoped that MTBing would be too technical for her and I could wallow in a sense of smug superiority as she got her (admittedly rather nice) ass handed to her by the MTB girls
    Nope.
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/us-pro ... ry/results
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    ddraver wrote:

Well shut my mouth....

Shows she has some skills as well as strength!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ddraver
    Yes I believe I covered that by the use of the words "well shut my mouth" Did nt think it was that obscure tbh...
    - @ddraver
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    ddraver wrote:
    Yes I believe I covered that by the use of the words "well shut my mouth" Did nt think it was that obscure tbh...

Well I was agreeing with you not being sarcastic or picking holes in what you were saying.

Most impressive riding from her seemingly adaptable to everything cycling. Sure there are some 'obscure' cycling events but am sure she would kick ass in them too....... in fact that gives me an idea of a cycling super stars style TV programme.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Does show it's not competitive enough yet.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,452
    ddraver wrote:

Well shut my mouth....

You don't win 5 World cyclocross titles without technical skills.
  • ddraver
    Yeah, sorry I was aiming at LC...and now andy

Ok big hug with Dan...
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgXkqvAcZBhAk2eVPZMFh0E6SwQBe4IaH0jSZg-00lqSESrYFQ

(did that image work? it's blocked here. teletubbies represent the worst kind of infidel wassa wassa)
    - @ddraver
  • ademort
    Marianne won the American mountainbike Sea otter classic in Monterey on Saturday. She beat Danish rider Annika Langvad 2nd and the Canadian Catharine Prendel 3rd.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • ddraver
    Both the short and the long courses now...
    - @ddraver
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Considering that Catharine Prendel is the 2010 and 2012 XC world cup champion and the 2011 world champion, is anyone taking any bets where this season's MTB silverware is going to end up? It's starting to look like it's only missed events and schedule clashes with the road that's going to stop Marianne adding MTB championships to her track, road and CX ones.
    Pross wrote:
    Any information on Longo and Burton as I'm not convinced Vos is the greatest female cyclist of all time (yet). Obviously there was less continental racing for women in Burton's day but much of what she achieved remains incredible even today, half a century on. I also realise that Longo's career will now be tainted but she was still head and shoulders above anyone else for years. Van Moorsel was fairly dominant too.
    Burton was a pure time triallist who had no real sprint or jump, and could only win on the road when the course was hard enough to allow her to ride the opposition off her wheel. Otherwise she'd just get outsprinted by the wheelsuckers. Her problem was that there were virtually no international time trials at all then. If there had been, as now, it's quite likely she'd have had a half dozen or so world TT titles to add the the 2 RR titles she got.
    Longo was close to the top for a very long time, but I don't remember her ever being as dominant as Marianne is now.
  • ddraver
    I'm hoping my last hope that the XC Girls have all taken Sea Otter in the spirit that it's intended (a beer fest) and only Marianne has turned up in any kind of form - not going to be an interesting year else....

little hope...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross wrote:
    But someone on the internet has just said that she wins every race she takes part in! Any information on Longo and Burton as I'm not convinced Vos is the greatest female cyclist of all time (yet). Obviously there was less continental racing for women in Burton's day but much of what she achieved remains incredible even today, half a century on. I also realise that Longo's career will now be tainted but she was still head and shoulders above anyone else for years. Van Moorsel was fairly dominant too.

Longo, Van Morsel. Wind the clock back nearly 20 years pre the Festina Tour. Think what the attitudes of the authorities were like to PED infringements at that time. Neither have a publicised positive against them.

As for Beryl and less continental racing for women - Beryl was there at the first World Road Championships which virtually stood alone without any supporting calendar in any country. The UK was very fortunate in having a heavy program of TT events for women that was not available elsewhere in the World. The first few editions were events of around 35 miles.