Another NO TUBES question?

Hollow-legs
Hollow-legs Posts: 142
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
A couple of months back I brought a set of hope pro 2 hubs on stans ztr alpine rims..very nice and very light weight,,i then purchased a set of GEAx barro race tnt tryes 26x 2.00.
The alpines where running tubeless before I brought them ,they came with stans yellow tape already installed and valves !

Today me and my mate tried to set them up tubeless and now I wish I had not started this horrid affair :evil:

Firstly the GEAX barro where nearly impossible to get on the rim,getting the bead over the rim was a feat the WORLD STRONGEST MAN would struggle with!!!!
I ended up bending my tyre levers....in the process I marked the rims!!Argh!!!! I brought new no tubes universal valves 35mm presta,fitted them ,filled the trye with stans no tube liquid ,the first wheel went up and the rim snapped,cracked ans made a loud clicvk as we used a track pump to inflate the wheel,,great we thought that was easy,we were so wrong ,we could hear air leakage from the valve hole ,we swished the liquid around before we went to inflate the 1 st wheel ,so gave it a another swish moving the liquid around the tyre!!

The air was still leaking even though white liquid was leaking from the valve bottom....we tired to tighten the valve more ,but no avail it would not seal!
The same thing happened with the second wheel ,leaking air from the valve,also the geax tyre bead seems to sit on the valve internal rubber seal and the recess the tyre bead snaps into...I am doing something wrong ,am I missing a valve seal ,are my wheels and tyres compatible for tubeless!!!!
This is not the future !!! Are the stans ztr alpine a nightmare for when fitting and selecting the right tyre?

I am off to Halfords to buy some inner tubes!!!
Any help and advice would be grateful!

Cheers!!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I agree with the tubes bit.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Geax tyres have always been tight in my experience, no matter the rim (though I imagine Stan's BST rims might make it worse too). Just keep shaking them until the leaking stops. Riding helps spread the sealant around too.

*salt in the wound* I changed to my summer(-ish) tyres yesterday: non-LUST Maxxis Crossmark and HR on Arch EXs. Up and sealed in 20mins, no tyre levers used (I feel for you though, I broke 3 tyre levers once trying to fit some Conti tyres on a Mavic UST rim).
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Do you guys ride over nail beds or something?
  • Hollow-legs
    Thanks for the replys folks!! I have been doing a bit of digging on the subject,,My stans ztr rims are ALPINES ,,,are these not similar to stans ztr Olympic rims ,which after a bit of reading on the internet need a different valve from the stans no tubes universal mtb valve which I brought?
    Are there 2 types of valves available for tubeless conversion,,,ie ; some ztr rims require different valves from other brand tubeless rims!!!!

Stans has a problem solver valve on there website,,,thought I had found the answer ,,

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Standard-V ... -P624.aspx

So put two in my basket ,,went to checkout ,,,they added postage WTF :shock: They wanted $75 to ship to uk two valves! no way amigo I am paying that!!!

Also there are stans no OLYMPIC RIM strips ,do I need tese ?

http://www.notubes.com/Olympic-Rim-Strip-P105.aspx

I like the GEAX barros ,,really do not want to buy new tyres!!

Maybe I should cut up a old inner tube and try that method :o
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    When I did my first wheel I had the same issue with it leaking around the valve what I found was rather than cut a small hole or cross in the tape for the valve I cut the tape completely away from the hole and the valve seated much better.
  • Hollow-legs
    Well looks like I have a wheel and tyre compatibility issue ,I have been reading some reviews of the GEAX barro race tnt tyres... what I have gathered is that the TNT version is meant for UST rims in, so much that the beads are meant are different than average and are not recommended for STANS ztr rims.
    Does anyone concur with this ?

Looks like I will have to change the GEAXs to the folding non-TNT version or to something else :(
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    There's a list of incompatible tyres on the stans website. I swapped my tyres yesterday (Schwalbe) took a lot less than 20mins to do, and not a tyre lever was used - there's a knack to getting the tyres on which really helps, takes practice though.
  • if your leaking around the valve hole i'd recommend Checking the tape for any slits or nic's, my AM classics started leaking at the valve as the re were a coupld of holes in the tape from 2 years of riding, removed tape, replaced with superstar universal and all back good again!

make sure your valves are in tight in the hole, pushing down on the valve form the inside of the rim whilst tightening up the lock ring helps,
    if its leaking form the valve then the rim seat sounds fine! - have you DIY compressored them on?? get them up to pressure quickly to seat??

tubeless on a Hardtail is Great! no more running at 50+psi to not pinch!! being 100+kg was forever doing so, ive run my rear at 18psi tubeless, no burping, bit wallowy mind but absolutely fine!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I have ztr olympic rims running a hope/no tubes kit. No problems what do ever. I am running hutchinson torro tyres currently.
  • Toro's are Awesome tyres!! been usign them for 3 years or so now!! Love them!!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • russyh
    russyh Posts: 1,375
    I like them as well seem to work well for most of our local terrain. Work well tubeless as well