tubeless query

zanush
zanush Posts: 161
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
After a lot of swearing i used a joe's no flats tubeless kit last night with my nobby nics 4cross (folding) tyres and i'm just wondering what i should now look out for with running "tubeless".
I think maybe i should have added another layer or two of rimtape as although the tyres were a pain to get on the rim they were a tad loose once on which is probably the reason for the swearing later as they were a right git to get inflated. Will i need to redo it with more rimtape or will they be ok?, just a bit nervous about heading out with this being my first attempt at tubeless :oops:
Cheers
Boardman Fs Team
Felt F95

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Take a couple of tubes with you.
  • zanush
    That was my first plan ;) ...just had a quick 15min ride around and all seems fine so far. I inflated to 40psi as per instructions but i have been running at 30'ish psi (9 stone shortarse) prior to tubeless so is it just a case of trial and error to see what psi feels right with tubeless? (i've just got visions of this "burping" thingy = blowing the tyres off and heading into a tree or elsewhere not intended lol)
    I only tried the kit as i was given it by a mate who buggers off into the distance when i've had a puncture shouting "i keep telling you to go tubeless", but when i ask him about his tubeless setup and experience and he's as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    If they are not loosing air I wouldn't worry about adding more tape.
  • zanush
    Cheers ;) i'll have a play about with pressure's at the weekend when i've got more time.
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I could be wrong, but I didn't think the rim tape was to keep the tyre 'tight', it's just to keep the wheel bed air tight. If you have a wheel with a deeper rim it will be easier to put a tyre on. Wrapping multiple layers of tape wont make the rim any more airtight. Assuming the tape itself is airtight.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah take tubes with you to pop them in.

Better still pop them in before you leave the house.
  • zanush
    Yeah take tubes with you to pop them in.

Better still pop them in before you leave the house.

Had a blast around my usual trails after lowering the pressure this evening and no mishaps :wink:
    Feels a bit different but i'm happy so far....
    Boardman Fs Team
    Felt F95
  • once seated you should be okay with the tyres, obviously if they doo burp then a little more pressure in them,
    i'm 100kg and ran my non tubeless Nobby Nics at 18psi on the back on one ride, wallowed like a boat but no burping!

thelonegroover is right in that the tape is to seal the rim, is often advisable to tape them up then pop a tube in overnight at pressure with a tyre to make sure its seats on the rim, but if your up and holding you should be fine! once set up, sealant, 40psi quick blast to make sure its applied around the rim and then set to what ever pressure you like!! Is great on a hardtail to be running normal pressures not 50psi to prevent pinchng!!
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481