Which flat pedals?

Kate_Guyana
Kate_Guyana Posts: 56
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi. After many threads regarding which bike to buy I have finally just ordered this one: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?show=4207

I am aware that they don't come with pedals (or just basic ones), so was just wondering if anyone had any advice? i'm not quite ready for SPD yet (although I use these for commuting on my roadie so have them for when the time comes), but just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for flat pedals. Nothing too expensive, but nothing really cheap either. I guess lower end of the 'dencent' spectrum! thanks

Comments

• EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    Default choices are Superstar Nanos (also available rebranded on CarbonCycles.cc) or Wellgo MG1.

I use MG1, but lots on here use the Nanos.
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    yup superstar nano, but choose the thru-pin option, gusset also do a sim jim pedal, which was what I used before nano.......

thru-pin helps if you snap a grub screw it might not come out....
  • EH_Rob wrote:
    Default choices are Superstar Nanos (also available rebranded on CarbonCycles.cc).

thanks so much. Do you have a link to these? I've been on there but can't seem to see what the rebranded ones are called.

Superstar nanos are extremely hard to find to buy. Barely anywhere seems to sell them, unless I'm looking in the wrong places.

Thanks for the input everyone!
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    estampida wrote:
    thru-pin helps if you snap a grub screw it might not come out....

You generally just tear the screws out fully. Once I needed to run the tap back down the thread. You'd be doing well to snap one in half. All you do to get mangled screws out is use molegrips.

I'd be more concerned about trying to unscrew damaged stainless steel threads all the way through and out of the soft alloy pedal on the thru pin versions. That's why I always buy grub screw versions.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wellgo MG1's.
    ps the only place that sells Superstar stuff is Superstar.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Wellgo MG1 for me.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wellgo-MG1-Ma ... %26ps%3D54

Lightest metal pedals there are for this price, large platform, good bearings, good grip.
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Yeah but MG1s look like a poor persons pedal. It's all about the bling and superstar have that sorted.
  • cooldad
    Yeah but MG1s look like a poor persons pedal. It's all about the bling and superstar have that sorted.
    I am a poor person.
    Anyway all the bling I need is the giant alarm clock necklace I wear.
    flavaflav1.jpg

Always wear your helmet kiddies.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    I've had MG1...look fine but get scuffed easily! Like others have said though, great grip.

Shimano Saints are my fav! Look great, good sized and look like they mean business but still understated.
  • cooldad
    And weigh as much as the rest of the bike.
    Who cares if pedals get scuffed - they are under your feet covered in mud and assorted excrement.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I just did a fart which weighed more than the difference between MG1's and Saints - it was a lumpy one though :D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • cooldad
    Did you tell your mommy?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    I just did a fart which weighed more than the difference between MG1's and Saints - it was a lumpy one though :D

You say that, I'd expect any other component that saved 120g, was the same price (or cheaper) and performed pretty much the same in every other aspect as another one would be the preferred product.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    My MG1s have had zero maintenance for 18months and they still spin like new. A mate has had them for 4 years and though there isnt much paint left on them the bearings are still box fresh. Light, grippy, long lasting, comfy under soft non cycling shoes and they are cheap. Whats not to like.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Thanks for all your input. I'll probably go with the MG1s.

New bike just arrived (Cube LTD 2012) and can't wait to get out on it on Saturday!
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Nano, the profil is nice and low reducing pedal strikes,

And get the grub screws the amount of thru pins on pedals i have smashed threw and removed all the thread int he pedals.
  • Gusset slim jims
  • crispy1980
    crispy1980 Posts: 310
    Everyone always says that the carbon cycles are rebranded superstars, there not, they have a smaller platform. Plus, nano arevonly 38 quid now so got to be worth it?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    crispy1980 wrote:
    Everyone always says that the carbon cycles are rebranded superstars, there not, they have a smaller platform. Plus, nano arevonly 38 quid now so got to be worth it?

Probably from the same factory, I believe the superstar pedal spindles will fit a wide range of different pedals.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are all rebranded HT pedals - with sometimes slightly different designs.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    crispy1980 wrote:

I posted some pics on here a while back, of both my exotic and nano's with a tape measure against them, they are identical.