One Way Ticket to Mars

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
I was reading this article and wondering what sort of person would ever want to take them upon their offer...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456

Basically they're asking for people to commit suicide. Among the highlights for the rest of your short life:

Muscle and bone wastage meaning a return to Earth would be impossible (gravity too strong)
Extreme solar wind strips everything from the surface of Mars
Extreme radiation, especially on the trip out meaning increased risk of cancer and lowered immunity
No liquid water, atmospheric pressure "practically a vacuum", temperatures that vary wildly

"I have no doubt that we could physically place a human being on Mars. Whether they'd be able to survive for an extended period of time is much more doubtful," - Dr Bray

NASA astronaut Stan Love has recently returned from Antarctica which he says is a "picnic compared to Mars".
"It's full of water, you can go outside and breathe the air. It's paradise compared to Mars and yet nobody has moved there permanently."

I mean what actually appeals about this trip? Basically you get to spend the rest of your life in a tin can floating towards Mars and then dying slowly on the dusty surface of an irradiated, solar blasted planet. I can think of better things to do with the rest of my life quite frankly...

Would you do it?
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    I can think of a few poeple I'd like to send.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Is a helmet compulsory?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Is a helmet compulsory?
    Are you crazy? Not wearing a helmet on mars will get you killed!
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    you assume they would survive lift off and the journey there

NASA almost did this in 1983... but by then the masses (people) had lost the stomach for suicide trips....

and imagine getting there to discover the equipment is N/F.... do you wait to die or go for a long walk....
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You need to read The Martian
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    If they genuinely took applications they would get some very good candidates out of hundreds of thousands of entries. Applicants would do it in order to be the first, to take big risks and all the other things that drove people like Columbus and others to go and find things.

What NASA should probably avoid is sending the current type of astronaut. They are typically high IQ athletes that have spent a life time training their minds and bodies to be in the top percentile of humans. On a long trip you want slight tubsters who can happily sit confirmed in a small space and happily watch endless films and eat sealed packs of food of a low standard. IT people would probably be suitable.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Ah but if we'd all had this attitude, Headhuunter, we'd never have discovered America....

...OK - point made :wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I would do it in the hope that my space ship would fly through so cosmic rays thereby bestowing me with superpowers....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • msmancunia would I'm sure, love to explore Mars, the Milky Way and the rest of the Galaxy. She's a real Smartie and would Revel in such a Marathon trip. We are talking chocolate aren't we or am I going off Topic?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    davmaggs wrote:
    If they genuinely took applications they would get some very good candidates out of hundreds of thousands of entries. Applicants would do it in order to be the first, to take big risks and all the other things that drove people like Columbus and others to go and find things.

What NASA should probably avoid is sending the current type of astronaut. They are typically high IQ athletes that have spent a life time training their minds and bodies to be in the top percentile of humans. On a long trip you want slight tubsters who can happily sit confirmed in a small space and happily watch endless films and eat sealed packs of food of a low standard. IT people would probably be suitable.
    :lol:
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    msmancunia would I'm sure, love to explore Mars, the Milky Way and the rest of the Galaxy. She's a real Smartie and would Revel in such a Marathon trip. We are talking chocolate aren't we or am I going off Topic?
    Very good, did you hear a Wispa that she likes chocolate? There would be a Bounty of views to enjoy on the way.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I would do it in the hope that my space ship would fly through so cosmic rays thereby bestowing me with superpowers....
    But would you use those powers for good or evil?
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    I'll try most things once and yes it will kill me one day :lol:
    so count me in i've had enough of this nonsense 'ere anyway
    though the xc bike would have to come with, not seen many roads on t' map..
  • bushu wrote:
    though the xc bike would have to come with, not seen many roads on t' map..

yeah think of all them KOM strava segments you can make! :mrgreen:
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Monkeypump wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    But would you use those powers for good or evil?

Unfortunately we all know the answer to that.