Entry road bike - advice / thoughts on this one please

dougie537
dougie537 Posts: 20
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hello,

I'm currently riding a cannondale MTB with slicks on the road, rarely go off road to be honest, I've been looking for an entry level road bike to get me started, seen this and looks to be ok spec wise, but thought I'd ask the experts

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road- ... BRA&bike=1

This is About my budget too

Comments

• Looks ok, and I think it got a good review on Bikeradar in 2012. Although the cassette doesn't offer much climbing gears...
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    BreizhinGB wrote:
    Looks ok, and I think it got a good review on Bikeradar in 2012. Although the cassette doesn't offer much climbing gears...

I think most people would be fine with 34/25 for climbs in the UK! That's pretty low gearing for a road bike. Ribble bikes are generally pretty good and usually better value than the major brands like Trek, Specialized etc. They used to do a bike fit for you if you went to their shop before buying (not sure if they still do this)...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Merlin Malt-R?

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -2013.html

Full tiagra, carbon fork, deda finishing kit for £600...
    Cheers, Stu
  • You don't have to have a 30t cog to climb hills. Not so long ago there were no compacts, 42 was a common choice of small ring, and that was combined with a freewheel that went up to 21, or even less, unless touring. 34x25 should get you up most if not all of what this country has to offer; 34x28 even more so.

But above all, get a bike that suits you. Forget about spec. :)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    You don't have to have a 30t cog to climb hills. Not so long ago there were no compacts, 42 was a common choice of small ring, and that was combined with a freewheel that went up to 21, or even less, unless touring. 34x25 should get you up most if not all of what this country has to offer; 34x28 even more so.

But above all, get a bike that suits you. Forget about spec. :)

+1
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem