Google Lattitude

thegodplato
thegodplato Posts: 319
edited April 2013 in Road general
Just thought I'd share this little software app for you other cyclists. My boss at work put me onto it ( he uses it for checking on his daughters!! ).
We have used successfully done Lands End to John O Groats in 8 days ( 920miles ) and in the first two days had issues with my Garmin 800 running out of battery and my phone screen not working due to me getting too warm ( we think ). Because we had our wives following us via the Google Lattitude app, we were able to be rescued on the first 2 days. I'm not sure what we would have done otherwise in the middle of nowhere.

Its worth looking into just in case of emergency.

You can read our adventure here - www.cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Because we had our wives following us via the Google Lattitude app, we were able to be rescued on the first 2 days. I'm not sure what we would have done otherwise in the middle of nowhere.

Its worth looking into just in case of emergency.

If your Garmin 800 was running out of battery, how did your phone using its GPS chip still have power?

What I would have done is keep the phone turned off, so it had full battery, turn it on and look at Google Maps if I had a data connection or the compass app if I didn't, note the road name or Lat Long, then call a friend.

The iPhone app "stalk/find my friends" works in the same way as Google Lattitude.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Personally I'd've taken my portable power pack - charges an iPhone from flat more than twice and doesn't weigh much. I'm thinking about using it to power the video cam for a long ride in the summer ...

Garmin should've lasted quite some time - perhaps the brightness was up on the screen - that drains the battery quick.
  • thegodplato
    thegodplato Posts: 319
    We'd been riding for around 12 hours when the Garmin died which, as far as I know is about right - have now remembered to turn it off everytime we stopped for food, etc. And Google Lattitude doesn't use the GPS so there was no added drain on the mobile. We just couldn't use it as the screen wasn't working ( Samsung Galaxy ) when it got hot.
    2012 Bianchi Via Nirone Xenon

960 miles in 8 days starting 6th April 2013
    www.justgiving.com/teams/cyclemadness

cyclemadness.blogspot.co.uk
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Congrats on the journey, sounds like a right adventure.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875