Thickos Question of the Day

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited April 2013 in The bottom bracket
proper questions that others will go "pfft I thought everyone knew that" but leave us thickos stumped.

How does copper slip work?
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Guess I'm in the thicko group then as without looking it up I have no idea how it works
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    em - I think this refers to an adjacent post where some guy who punched a horse - sorry - AN horse failed to give the copper the slip.

Is that not obvious or are you a thickie as well. ...i mean '...or are you a thickie.'
  • danlikesbikes
    Lagrange wrote:
    em - I think this refers to an adjacent post where some guy who punched a horse - sorry - AN horse failed to give the copper the slip.

Is that not obvious or are you a thickie as well. ...i mean '...or are you a thickie.'

Clearly I am :oops: though I did just use urban dictionary to look up thicko & thickie both quite different meanings
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    Must be latin - Thicko - I thick' is nominative, Thickie - note the same tense is Vocative - 'you thick' So I'm just agreeing with him that he is thick.

Horse is no Einstein either by the looks of things.
  • danlikesbikes
    Guess I'm going to have to look up this other post then to see what all this about, but based on what you have already advised me about the other post I think I might reserve my comments.
  • Rust is caused by a chemical reaction between two pieces of steel. The copper changes/prevents that reaction therefore no rust

I think
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Rust is caused by a chemical reaction between two pieces of steel. The copper changes/prevents that reaction therefore no rust

I think

It's a reaction between iron and oxygen with the presence of water.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,091
    Copper slip/copper ease is often used to install items like bake pads (in horseless carriages). If you were to use grease, the grease can spread around which is counter productive to breaking properly. Copper ease when dispersed by centrifugal force etc does not affect breaking as much as grease would and is less likely to become liquid under v high temperatures.
    Due to the enormous temperatures generated whilst breaking, grease would become very liquid and find itself everywhere, whereas Copper slip due to its ingredient of copper, will also conduct the heat away. Heated up grease would soon vacate the area where its applied under high temperature as it becomes a liquid.
    Where the brake pads contact with the brake slave cyclinder, you can get the effect described by Mr-Celophane which makes removal/re-fitting of old pads tricky without CS/CE. It is used when you have two surfaces that are not mechanically connected but are physically connected and touch or rub up against each other, in situations where you do not want the side effects of a dedicated lubricant.

Happy Cleat?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I am happy. :lol:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.