Should I fit my own press fit b/b?

burglarboycie
burglarboycie Posts: 200
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all
Building an On One Whippet at the moment, just bought a KCNC bottom bracket for it and was wondering if its advisable to fit it myself or have it done by a shop? The frame is new but the bb is used.
Cheers
James

Comments

• shadow4532
    shadow4532 Posts: 133
    sorry i didnt think you could reuse press fit bearings
    GIANT PROPEL SL1 for racing and posing
    TREK 2.5 training and commuting
    GIANT REVEL 1 LTD for when it gets all snowy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why on earth not?

With a whippet frame I'd be using a quality press, so buy one or take to the LBS.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • shadow4532
    ok ill rephrase that i would never reuse a press fit bearing.
    but as for fitment your LBS is probably your best bet.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No reason not to reuse a pressfit any more than any other bearing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    Really depends on the condition of the outer bearing housing. If this is scratched, worn or mishapened, I would not.

I heared somewhere, Cannondale recommend Loctite for PF BB.
  • Dirty-Boy
    Dirty-Boy Posts: 47
    shadow4532 wrote:
    ok ill rephrase that i would never reuse a press fit bearing.
    but as for fitment your LBS is probably your best bet.

Re using them is ok if they were removed properly
  • shadow4532
    taken from a technical faq:
    Most bearings like this are press fit into place on the outer race with limited access to this race once the bearing is installed. Limited access means that when it is time to remove the bearings, the only way to get them out involves “loading” the bearings and bearing cage by pressing on the inner race. Some removal involves beating bearings out with hammers and special tools while some removal can be accomplished with a shop press. In almost all of these situations you are pressing on the inner race to remove a bearing which is held in place by the outer race. This process of “loading” the bearings creates microscopic dents on the bearing races (both inner and outer) and on the balls themselves. While the bearing may feel OK after removal, these microscopic dents will come back to haunt you later.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Nonsense. And if it's true then yet another reason why i'm staying away from press fit.