105 Calliper centering screw coming loose

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited July 2015 in Workshop
As title really. I bought a set of 105 brake callipers for my Cube and on the front calliper only the little screw used for centering the pads around the rim keeps unwinding itself leaving the pads off-centre.

I could send them back to Wiggle for a replacement but if it is something that happens then I'll try a dab of thread lock.

It only affects the front callipers but, naturally, this gets much heavier use than the rear calliper.

I have included a photo to illustrate the screw.

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    I'd drop a tad of Loctite in there if I were you.
  • huwowen
    huwowen Posts: 5
    I am having the exact same problem with my front 105 (5700 series) brake on a 2013 Trek Madone 4.5

Before each ride i make sure the brakes are centred and after each ride they are off centre (the left pad hits the rim before the right causing the rim to move to the right).

Today, whilst the bike was stationary, i repeatedly applied the front brake and watched as the centring screw actually loosened itself!

Does anyone know what's happening here? And will an off centre brakes damage the wheel in any way?

The wheel is definitely centred in the fork and the calliper is mounted to the fork as per Trek's torque specs.

Thanks!
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edit.
  • curium
    I am having the exact same problem with my front 105 (5700 series) brake on a 2013 Trek Madone 4.5

Before each ride i make sure the brakes are centred and after each ride they are off centre (the left pad hits the rim before the right causing the rim to move to the right).

Today, whilst the bike was stationary, i repeatedly applied the front brake and watched as the centring screw actually loosened itself!

Does anyone know what's happening here? And will an off centre brakes damage the wheel in any way?

The wheel is definitely centred in the fork and the calliper is mounted to the fork as per Trek's torque specs.

Thanks!

I solved it with loctite...

• Take the wheel out. Completely remove the little screw and clean it and the hole with some degreaser spray.
    • Allow to evaporate.
    • Replace wheel.
    • Add a drop of medium loctite to the end of the screw thread (furthest from the head) and screw it into the hole until the callipers are perfectly centred.
    • Leave it for an hour or so and you're golden.
  • huwowen
    huwowen Posts: 5

Thanks!

• Take the wheel out. Completely remove the little screw and clean it and the hole with some degreaser spray.
    • Allow to evaporate.
    • Replace wheel.
    • Add a drop of medium loctite to the end of the screw thread (furthest from the head) and screw it into the hole until the callipers are perfectly centred.

Thanks I'll give that a try!
  • I am having the exact same problem with my front 105 (5700 series) brake on a 2013 Trek Madone 4.5

Thanks!

• Allow to evaporate.
    • Replace wheel.

Out of interest, why do you need to remove the wheel?
  • curium
    I felt better drenching the caliper with degreaser if the wheel wasn't there. It meant I didn't have to worry about it getting into the hub or damaging the tyre, etc. It's probably fine to leave it in.