BB won't stay tight! Aaaaarrggghh

Keveo
Keveo Posts: 51
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
My deore crank developed annoying amount of play, so I bought the hollowtech tool loosened the non drive side crank and tightened the preload nut. This eliminated the play completely, until 1 hours riding and the play is back! The bike is only 8 months old surely the bb can't be jiggered?!

Any help greatly appreciated :D

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Sure it's done up tightly? You need to do each bolt a little at a time in turn.

Quite possible to toast a Deore bb in that time, especially over the winter we've had
  • Keveo
    Yeah it's nice and tight, the play effects both sides so it isn't as if the non drive crank arm is loose. I don't have a torque wrench so can't torque to the recommended force.

I may just bite the bullet and go for something a little more robust! :roll:
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    8 months? Yeah i'll give you a hundred quid if it isn't farked.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    XTR on Ebay for £25. Will last a lot longer.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try reading the post again CD.....

Describe exacyly what you did, step by step, to tighten it the first time.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Keveo
    First time around I loosened of the two bolts either side of the non drive side crank, I then loosened of the preload nut completely removing it I then took the crank [non drive] off. I had a go at the bb shell to see if that was loose, which it wasn't! I then put the crank back on tighten the preload nut as tight as it could, by hand as this is all the tool allows. I then tightened both bolts up equally and the wobble had gone!

It's doing my head in now as the chain is catching the front mech every other spin due to the play!
  • Chunkers1980
    You do not do up a preload bolt as tight as you can. Are you sure you have the correct spacers for your setup
  • heez29
    heez29 Posts: 612
    Check spacers as above. Does any of the bolts loosen off or is there just a lateral movement?
  • Keveo
    Thanks for the reply chaps, the Bottom bracket is the original one from new & I haven't changed anything with the setup. The bolts in the crank arms stay tight.

For the price of a new unit I'm just going to cut my loses!

XTR or maybe a saint unit?
  • Chunkers1980
    Xtr. Saints are gold and have longer threads
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    That's about the same amount of time I got out of my deore bb, on an XT one now.
  • Keveo
    Just bought a saint unit, apparently this will fit a 68, 72 & 80mm bb.

Hopefully I'll have plenty of happy (wobble free) spinning to follow!
  • bennett_346
    80mm BB?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    72mm BB?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Keveo
    72mm BB?

Clearly I meant 73mm :roll:
  • Chunkers1980
    So what did you mean when you said 80mm then?
  • Keveo
    By 80mm i also meant....

Shimano Saint Bottom Bracket for M815 Cranks
    RRP £39.99
    Sm - bb80
    For 83mm Shells.
    (will fit 68/73mm with modification)
  • bennett_346
    What drew you to the saint one? The XTR would have been a better choice.
  • Keveo
    Purely for the robust nature of the product, also the br review sold it to me. I have also toyed with the idea of running a single ring up front in the future so would go for bb mounted chain device. The extra thread in the shell on the saint unit being the advantage. Oh and the gold finish would suit my bike superbly :wink:
  • bennett_346
    So really because it was gold ;)
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Keveo wrote:
    I have also toyed with the idea of running a single ring up front in the future so would go for bb mounted chain device. The extra thread in the shell on the saint unit being the advantage.

Any Shimano Hollowtech bb lets you do that ... even with a 73mm bb shell, you need one spacer on the driveside to fit it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    In any event, it's the axle length that determines what you can fit. Which is fixed.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools