SRAM GXP vs BB30

bobgfish
bobgfish Posts: 545
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello

I have an epic which I believe has a BB30 chain set in 38/24. I took it in to get bigger chain rings fitted ( new spider as well). The bike shop had to put in a spacer to move the front mech further out ( maybe 5-10 mm) Also I can now see the axle on the drive side where as with the old I could not. Sounds and looks like something is not right. Could it be the difference between GXP spider and BB30 spider? They said it is because the s2200 is OEM and built to Specialized instructions and therefore the XO chain rings are different. Thoughts? Bike is still in the shop but need it sorted and to work reliably for nine day race in two weeks...

Thanks

Comments

• bobgfish
    bobgfish Posts: 545
    OK. So speaking with SRAM/Specialized today it would appear the answer is clear.

If you have a BB30 running 38/24 and want to go bigger you need to change the entire cranks...They have most probably fitted a GXP spider and rings which will not work hence needed to space the front mech.

If the bike had a GXP crank then yes I could have swapped spider and cranks without issue. There is a doc from SRAM which shows this. Google "X0 & X9 Crankset Spider and Chainring Compatibility Guide" which basically shows that not much is compatible with a BB30 crankset vs the GXP.