Frame ideas for an AM/FR big hitter

2»

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Yes I have ridden one. The head angle doesn't feel particularly steep when you ride it. The one I rode had 160mm Fox 36's. It feels like a proper mini downhill bike but you can climb on it as well, it would be great for alpine stuff. The rear suspension feels really nice, kind of similar to the older Demo 8.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Yes I have ridden one. The head angle doesn't feel particularly steep when you ride it. The one I rode had 160mm Fox 36's. It feels like a proper mini downhill bike but you can climb on it as well, it would be great for alpine stuff. The rear suspension feels really nice, kind of similar to the older Demo 8.

hmm..interesting. The one I'm looking at is a 2008 with a Float RP23, ProPedal so guess it is made for climbing too. If I go ahead with this I'm not sure I'd wanna sell it...could be a bit of a quiver killer this one
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    I would go for one with a coil shock personally. A DHX 4 or 5 would be nice.
  • felix.london

Was looking at the wrong frame! I was looking at a 'Trail' 4X/Slopestyle frame hence the air shock :oops:

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    They did a short travel SX which was a slopestyle bike and the longer travel SX Trail which was a freeride bike.
  • felix.london
    They did a short travel SX which was a slopestyle bike and the longer travel SX Trail which was a freeride bike.

Yeah - I'm liking the look of the SX Trail. If I can find one for the right price it'll go sweetly with the Domain's and Flow's for sure. Think you've hit the nail on the head my man.

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london

OK - so which one would you go for DHX RC4 or DHX 5.0?

Trek Session 8
  • rockmonkeysc
    Both are very good. The 5.0 is slightly better but the RC4 is very good. Rockshox Vivid, Marzocchi Rocco WC and Cane Creek double barrel are all very good as well.
  • felix.london
    The options so far are a 2008 with a 5.0 or 2010 with an RC4. Seeing as the idea is to sell the bike on guess I'll try and get as new a frame as possible. The 2010 frame also has a mix taper headtube

Trek Session 8
  • Banxi
    Banxi Posts: 25
    I have a voltage fr and its a ace bike to match it with another freeride bike you would have to spend a fair bit more. If you can get hold of a voltage frame and some 160mm forks tje rear shock set up can be changed to allsprts or sizes. Mine goes from 180-160 with the right stuff you can get it down to a 33lbs bike that can do anything. I love mine as you can thro it about like a jump bike