Deore m596 Brake lever weeping fluid

paulneenan76
paulneenan76 Posts: 777
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello All. Not had a moment to get the tools out since last ride but I seem to have a very minor leak at the front brake leaver. Noticed it after a ride on Thursday, pulled back the rubbery sheath and wiped off a bit of fluid, couldn't see anything obvious in terms of leaking oil, wiped it off and left it for 48hrs. Checked on Saturdays ride and again, its leaked a tiny bit. As yet its not had any effect on performance (which means it will soon) but I plan to attempt a fix this evening. Any ideas what it might be and how to fix it? Looking at shimano's docs, I might have a loose 8mm nut but it won't be that simple knowing my luck.

Deore m596 brakes - bout a year old - perform as good as the day they were fitted.

Paul
Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I presume you mean the sheath over the compression nut that holds the hose in place?

Just nip it up with a (yes 8mm) spanner (Clockwise to tighten) and you'll almost certainly fix it, don't go mad though, it doesn't need to be that tight!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.