Cube Aim 2009 upgrade

cezar.cretzu
cezar.cretzu Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I have my 09 Cube Aim bike witch served me well this years... from road pedaling arround the city (50-60km roounds) through big descents on the mountain forests (2200m to aprox. 900m altitude - this raised the need for a DH bike :) ).

The idea is that I want more from my bike and I'm in a dilemma wether I should build on my actual Cube Aim frame or I should go for a new bike completely.

What I plan if it were to keep the frame is as follows:
- Shimano deore XT groupset;
- 180/160 Shimano disk brakes (front/rear)
- Rock Shox Reba RLT Solo Air 120mm fork
- Shimano/Mavic wheels with 15mm through axle front and 9mm QR back (due to the frame).

So, what is your advice for this configuration? Do you think it's worth going this way or should I start over?

Thanks.

P.S. My dream also includes a DH bike, but that's a totally different story.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you are changing that much, it would probably make more sense to by a new bike and sell the current Aim - you appear to be keeping frame, stem, bars and headset only?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • That's exactly why I'm in doubt. So, is it worth it to build on this frame? What downsides may it have?

At first I wanted to only upgrade the brakes to disc brakes; but that supposes new set of wheels and new gear levers (actual ones are attached to the brake levers) and this lead to the groupset :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Buy a new bike.......even for a good frame it's really not worth doing all that on anything but a very very high end frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kammybear
    kammybear Posts: 500
    The XT group set and forks will cost shitloads and you'll still be left with an older frame...with decals from the bottom of the range!

Get an LTD Pro and sell the Aim...should get 2-300 for the Aim and the LTD is £989 and has a mix of SLX and XT.
  • I totally get you, anyway I do not agree with the decals issue: that's of no importance though! The LTD Pro only has the rear derailleur XT and rest are bellow SLX (not SLX).

Thanks anyway.