Road Closures - 16.04.2013

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
good luck to all of those riding in tomorrow.

There will be plenty of road closures.

Map

TFL

I pre-booked the day off prior to her death to watch the cycling tomorrow! :wink:
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Thanks, at least Embankment remains open (Millbank is open until 9am). Its going to be interesting getting through the City, all of the roads around where I park the bike are closed! Roads re-open by 3pm so the commute home should be OK
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Why is the whole City closed from 7:30.

Could be pushbike from London Bridge tomorrow.
    exercise.png
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,632
    Work on Fleet Street, could be interesting! Should be able to cycle almost all the way there via embankment, then walk over the road hopefully.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Q: Are the road closed to cycles or just motorised vehicals? TFL are advising driver to avoid the area but not cyclists? They have shut some borris bike docking stations though...
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Sketchley wrote:
    Q: Are the road closed to cycles or just motorised vehicals? TFL are advising driver to avoid the area but not cyclists? They have shut some borris bike docking stations though...
    From what I've seen, crossing the route of the procession itself may be tricky, but I'd be surprised if you can't get round most of the rest of the closed area on foot, pushing a bike. Parliament Square be open until 9am. I work North of St Paul's, and I'm hoping to ride along Embankment as normal before circling round the back of the cathedral (possibly on foot).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • BigLights
    BigLights Posts: 464
    i can't believe they won't let you at least cross the roads on foot...otheerwise, imagine trying to get from Charing Cross station to the other side of the Strand? You'd have to walk all the way to Hyde Park corner and back. Not a chance.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    BigLights wrote:
    i can't believe they won't let you at least cross the roads on foot...otheerwise, imagine trying to get from Charing Cross station to the other side of the Strand? You'd have to walk all the way to Hyde Park corner and back. Not a chance.
    I'd probably just use the underpass...

Sure they'll let people cross, but you don't know how long they might keep you waiting. Once the procession is underway I should imagine they'll keep a decent length of road clear, in front and behind.
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    My usual route is London Bridge - > Cannon St...via St Pauls..cos I work on one of the sideroads opposite St Pauls.

I'm thinking if worst comes to worst I can push the bike from London Bridge...cos I have no idea what will be blocked off..grrr :)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Basically it's a ballache if you work in the City.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    Came down Farringdon Road to Blackfriars this evening and there were already several of those eliptical roadblock thingd by the side of the road so I think Strand will be all nut impassable tomorrow.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    Brilliant! It was just like a SkyRide (TM). The roads from Hyde Park eastwards were closed to motorists, but the police were letting cyclists just weave around the bollards and carry on as normal. Can we have this every day please?
  • nich
    nich Posts: 888
    Well Cannon St all the way to Blackfriars was open this morning (before 8ish anyway).

I think they are now barricading it off though...it was like the tour de france outside St Pauls with all the crowds, although they weren't cheering my name :(
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Also: New Cross Road closed due to police incident. Not related to the funeral.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    They could have a state funeral every morning, that was awesome.
  • navt
    navt Posts: 374
    Blackfriars to Fetter Lane - vehicle free. Brilliant! Shame about numpty peds though.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    chancery lane to bishopsgate via london Wall section of my commuteswas absolutley solid traffic all the way, with police Mbikes trying to get through it - complete nightmare. lots of filtering, using wrong side of road and pavements (carefully) needed to get through it.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem