Planet-X N2A Guru with Campag

galatzo
galatzo Posts: 1,295
edited August 2013 in Your road bikes
Last bike was a Cinelli Saetta Sprint with same gear as the N2A with the exception of the bars, stem and post which were Ritchey WCS. I had it nearly 6 months but it just didn't handle like the bike before it, an Isaac Proton which I wish I hadn't sold, so I when I got back from Majorca the other week I popped up to Planet-X to have a look at the N2A. They had an N2A Guru in my size with Sram Force, carbon clinchers, Selle Italia SLR Flow saddle and Planet-X bars and stem for £1499 ! Took it for a spin round the car park and service road outside and was really impressed even on such a short circuit. Compared to the Cinelli it was on rails, just gave me confidence to throw it into corners and really get my knee down in a way that the Cinelli didn't on some fantastic bends in Majorca. Couldn't turn it down at that price considering a frameset was £800 so went back a few days later and got it.
Planet-X swapped the gear over, bought a great new saddle Fizik Kurve Bull (cost a bit but the build quality is exceptional) decided to keep the Planet-X CNC brakes and the CNC stem and bars are staying for now to.
Had few very windy rides and just loving every corner !

Frame - Planet-X N2A Guru size small
Forks - Planet-X N2A Guru

Groupset - Campagnolo Chorus 11speed (Athena rear mech and Planet-X CNC brakeset)

Saddle - Fizik Kurve Bull
Seatpost - Planet-X Guru Aero

Bars - Planet-X Strada Compact Lite
Stem Planet-X Ultra Light CNC

Wheels - Mavic Ksyrium SR
Tyres - Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX

Pedals - Time RXS Carbon

Weight - 7.4kg with pedals

20130415_143559.jpg

20130415_143538.jpg

20130415_143639.jpg

20130415_143700.jpg

20130415_143722.jpg

20130415_143743.jpg

20130415_143758.jpg

20130415_143813.jpg

20130415_143831.jpg

20130415_143843.jpg
25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nice, those white hoods look like they will be a pain in the backside to keep clean!
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    That is one cool looking bike. Love the frame. Cant fault anything, even the set up.

Any plans to change anything? Would you recomend the wheels?, are they clinchers?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Great pics...
  • galatzo
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Nice, those white hoods look like they will be a pain in the backside to keep clean!

Cheers. Dug the hoods out from a previous build, soaked and scrubbed them in some Fenwicks and they've come up a treat but I don't think it's the last time I'll be doing it !
    dwanes wrote:
    That is one cool looking bike. Love the frame. Cant fault anything, even the set up.

Any plans to change anything? Would you recomend the wheels?, are they clinchers?

Thanks. I shouldn't be thinking about changing anything as I've only had it a week but now you mention it.....
    I have some Ritchey WCS carbon bars and stem from the last build but for now I like the Planet-X stuff, bars are a great shape and the stems a great design (may go to a 10cm later), I have a bit of an itch for a Rotor chainset as the frames is BB30 and Campag isn't.
    The wheels are clinchers and no complaints so far. I'd like some of the Planet-X Guru carbon tubulars but then I don't race and don't think they're really suitable for my use on Derbyshire roads, I just like the look of them and interested to try the tubular ride out never having had a pair.
    For now I'm just staring at it as it is !
    RideOnTime wrote:
    Great pics...

Thanks. Always struggled to take decent pics (lack of ability and poor camera phones) but picked a really sunny day and Samsung Galaxy SII and hey presto, a massive improvement on previous efforts !
  • GOLDGPR
    GOLDGPR Posts: 140
    Love that! - really like the design of the flowers on the inner frame parts. Only thing I would change would be to white cable outers to match the frame white lines.

Enjoy
  • RideOnTime
    so £1500 give or take. not bad.
  • GOLDGPR
    Did you not put on the Carbon clinchers ??
  • galatzo
    GOLDGPR wrote:

They're shimano/sram fitting and also nearly 400gr heavier than the Mavics plus I'm trying to raise some cash to make it as much a wife pleasing deal as poss.
    And given the wind recently I'd need Ben Ainsley's skills to pilot them !
  • galatzo
    RideOnTime wrote:
    so £1500 give or take. not bad.

By the time I sell all the bits and the Cinelli frame I'm hoping it'll have cost about £400 to change.
    Not bad considering the frameset alone is £800 :D
  • GOLDGPR
    Galatzo wrote:
    GOLDGPR wrote:

They're shimano/sram fitting and also nearly 400gr heavier than the Mavics plus I'm trying to raise some cash to make it as much a wife pleasing deal as poss.
    And given the wind recently I'd need Ben Ainsley's skills to pilot them !

Ah quite a bit heavier then didn't realise would be that much, know what you mean about the wind...... and keeping the misses happy always get my parts delivered to work then swap over when she aint looking. lol

Top deal there then getting things swapped over for that cost!
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Love the colour of that - much better than the stealth versions of these
  • galatzo
    Crozza wrote:

Me too, black with red has been done to death and so has white although I do like the white and silver version they do.
    And I've had bikes in similar colours already.....

024.jpg

381.jpg
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    That Scapin looks a beast.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Don't ditch the Campag chainset for rotor, Campag chainsets are things of beauty. (I have a rotor 3D+ on my Cervelo with SR. It's sacrilege and I weep myself to sleep every day about it)
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • galatzo
    That Scapin looks a beast.

But it had a large 12k weave that I just couldn't stand and hence it joined the ex file !
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Don't ditch the Campag chainset for rotor, Campag chainsets are things of beauty. (I have a rotor 3D+ on my Cervelo with SR. It's sacrilege and I weep myself to sleep every day about it)

No doubting the Campag chainset looks better, providing it works ok in the bb30 then it'll stay.
  • aw1808
    aw1808 Posts: 91
    New bike is looking good , I almost went for the cinelli but bought your proton instead , which clearly was a good choice.

the isaac still corners like its on rails and is a beauty ;-))
    I may be slow going up but i will pass you going down !
  • galatzo
    aw1808 wrote:
    New bike is looking good , I almost went for the cinelli but bought your proton instead , which clearly was a good choice.

the isaac still corners like its on rails and is a beauty ;-))

Glad your enjoying it mate, mabe we should have a corner-off and see which holds the rails best ? !
    The N2A feels pretty similar so far to the Isaac which is what I wanted.
    The Cinelli was a nice comfy easy ride but it made me realise I've still got few years before comfort becomes the most important thing.
    Hope this wind drops by the weekend so I can give it a real thrash.
  • Pigcry
    Pigcry Posts: 1
    Hi there. That is a lovely looking bike. I am thinking of putting together a N2a with a Campagnolo Centaur chain set. What adapters did you use for your build? Does the crank work well or would I be better running something like an Fsa which comes in BB30?
  • RideOnTime
    Galatzo wrote:
    Crozza wrote:

Me too, black with red has been done to death and so has white although I do like the white and silver version they do.
    And I've had bikes in similar colours already.....

024.jpg

381.jpg

Oh, like those...
  • NapoleonD wrote:

What length & ratio? I'll swap a compact Record chainset if you like?
  • bencolem
    bencolem Posts: 463
    Liking your N2A - colour coordination is spot on. I'd leave your Chainset well alone and put the money towards some properly lightweight tubular wheels (do Planet X still do those 250g rims - would be ideal). Given your in Derbyshire, you'd love them on the climbs (on special occasions only!).