Scott Contessa Speedster 15 or Giant Avail 1 (Womens)

sarahphelps
sarahphelps Posts: 11
edited April 2014 in Road buying advice
Hey,

I'm a newb to buying things all things in the road bike world and have been riding my vintage touring bike (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ladies-road-r ... 257cd6797b) for the last few years, commuting to work 10 miles per day and regular exploration weekend rides between 20-40 miles. Since it's getting so much use, and I'd really like to start joining clubs, I think it's about time I retire it to Sunday shopping trips and get a lighter speedier bike.

My budget is around £1000, so I'm going for an aluminium frame, but I'd at least like carbon forks and a 20 speed (no granny gears!), with as much of a Shimano 105 groupset as possible. So far I'm torn between the Scott Contessa Speedster 15 (http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Scott-Contessa- ... _56793.htm) or the Giant Avail 1 (http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Avail-1-W ... _56239.htm), which to my novice eyes look pretty similar, so any highlighting of their pros/cons would be gratefully received. I'm also open to other options if there are better bikes out there I may have overlooked.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions!
Sarah

Comments

• Hi Sarah
    Just saw your post and I'm in the exact same predicament. Which bike did you go for as a matter if interest. I'm swaying with the Scott purely cos I like the look of it.

Shauna
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited April 2014
    Look at the Planet X Pro Carbon, they offer several options including a women's. Very good full carbon bike for £999.

If you're not bothered about women's specific also look at Dolan and Ribble, good hunting. :)
  • Hey
    Thanks but I'm limited to a website as it's a bike to work scheme. So don't have a huge choice. I've already been informed of the Planet X website, unfortunately it's not an option.

Shauna
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Both bikes will do the job and they are both pitched at the same market anyway. Try both and choose the one which you feel most comfortable with. Or the one which you prefer the look of. There's probably not much else in it.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    Giant is potentially a more relaxed ride and has a sloping top tube (aka compact I think) which may factor in your decision if you're short or have a short inside leg or are not too flexible or used to riding drop bars, else if not as others have said the one that looks best. Ultimately trying both is the best way to decide, although not always easy. How tall are you, what's your inside leg and can you touch your toes or put your palms flat on the floor when bent over double? :)
  • Hi
    Thanks for your reply, I'm 5 feet 4.5 inches, not sure of my inside leg offhand but my legs are short. Yes Im pretty flexible as i do a lot of yoga and can touch my tours and put the palms flat on the floor when bent over.
    I will test ride the scott tomorrow but have to wait for 3 weeks if i decide to get it whereas the giant will be available immediately which is now influencing my decision. Do you think the fact that the giant doesn't have a carbon fork will affect the ride? Still undecided
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do you think the fact that the giant doesn't have a carbon fork will affect the ride?

The bike in the link above does have a carbon fork.
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    If your legs are short, rather than normal (whatever that is, I'm not), you may get on better with the Giant with it top tube that slopes down a lot more towards the seat. Maybe see how you get on with the Scott with regards stand over and comfort and take it from there. The Giant has Advanced Grade Composite fork which is carbon plus an alloy steerer just like the Scott, in fact both bikes look to be very similar spec, so it's down to comfort and looks. :)