Spectating 2013 TDF

iankenvyn
iankenvyn Posts: 6
edited July 2013 in Pro race
:?: Hi,

First post on here - so sorry if topic in wrong place. We are going to be in Annecy region when the TDF goes through. I understand the stage finish will be on the Semnoz. Is there anyone out there with any knowledge of the area. I propose parking in Ugine and then riding the cycle path up to Annecy (we have an apartment near Bourg St Maurice).
But any advice as to timings, what the roads are like up to Semnoz, when the TDF close the roads, when they re-open etc. ? Many thanks.

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Rather than start another thread I will (hopefully) be at the Champs Elysees for the finish, any tips as to how early I need to get there to be able to see anything?
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    I will be at the other side of Semnoz in Aix Les Bains. Semnoz from Leschaux averages 7-8 % and is pretty long, but I think it's not so hard from Annecy side but I've never ridden it. Spectacular views from the top on a clear day-that's lake Annecy you can see from the top
    2r3nmBE.jpg
  • Paul - I watched the finish of the TDF in Paris a few years ago. Best tip I had was from my mate who lived there was to take his decorating stepladder, I was able to get a good view from six to eight people back from the barriers. I got a place 2 hours before the race was due through (and I was 6 to 8 rows back as I said).
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Rather than start another thread I will (hopefully) be at the Champs Elysees for the finish, any tips as to how early I need to get there to be able to see anything?

We get there for about 9.30am and grab a good spec at the barrier. Once you've got your place the day is sorted. We take folding chairs, coldbox for the food and wine and make a day of it along with many, many others. If you take an i-pad or similar, you can pick up a free wifi connection and watch the live coverage of the race while you sit around in the sunshine. It's a great day.
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Lucan2 wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

We get there for about 9.30am and grab a good spec at the barrier. Once you've got your place the day is sorted. We take folding chairs, coldbox for the food and wine and make a day of it along with many, many others. If you take an i-pad or similar, you can pick up a free wifi connection and watch the live coverage of the race while you sit around in the sunshine. It's a great day.

sounds pretty cool - guessing there's plenty of bars etc for the toilets?
  • Don't forget that the final stage is an evening rather than an afternoon stage. 9sih would be about right for a normal afternoon stage, but I would add onto that however much later the stage is than normal. Not sure about bars, I've always used the McDonalds near the Arc de Triomphe for toilets facilities. (I think it's know as a McShit!)
  • Paul 8v
    Not really sure where to stand along the Champs Elysees, I doubt I'll get anywhere near the finish line, just have to be wherever I can I suppose.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Not really sure where to stand along the Champs Elysees, I doubt I'll get anywhere near the finish line, just have to be wherever I can I suppose.

If you want to hang out with loads of peeps you could join Brit corner, usually up by the turn in front of the Arc - though it'll be shifted up a bit this year with the route running all the way up to the Arc.
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited April 2013
    Paul 8v wrote:

Think you'll only get by the finish line if you are prepared to pay to be in the stands.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

If you want to hang out with loads of peeps you could join Brit corner, usually up by the turn in front of the Arc - though it'll be shifted up a bit this year with the route running all the way up to the Arc.

Oh that sounds good, will give that a go
  • iankenvyn wrote:
    :?: Hi,

First post on here - so sorry if topic in wrong place. We are going to be in Annecy region when the TDF goes through. I understand the stage finish will be on the Semnoz. Is there anyone out there with any knowledge of the area. I propose parking in Ugine and then riding the cycle path up to Annecy (we have an apartment near Bourg St Maurice).
    But any advice as to timings, what the roads are like up to Semnoz, when the TDF close the roads, when they re-open etc. ? Many thanks.
    Bump.
    Can we go back to the day before the Paris finish - the Annecy finish. Anyone with local knowledge/advice about the Semnoz finish, and the access from the Annecy-Ugine cycle path. Thanks.
  • RowanM
    RowanM Posts: 20
    Not sure about that particular region, but in terms of road closures, the tour closes the roads a long, long time in advance. If you are in a car then it can be a whole day in advance, on a bike they usually kick you off before the caravan comes through, which is two hours ahead of the peleton. Your chances of getting back on the road after it goes by are slim to none. I rode the whole route in 2009, and talked quite a lot about road closures in my blog (www.tourletour.com). To be honest, they can be a little frustrating!
    I'm riding the Giro d'Italia for charity in 2013. Check it out at www.tourletour.com!
  • mallinov
    mallinov Posts: 143
    Depends on how far you want to ride! You could ride straight outta Bourg over the Cormet de Roselend into the Beaufort, up to Les Saisses, through Flumet, up Col des Aravais, Col de la Croix Fry and then down to Annecy. You'll probably want to get a lift back after that though.

Or as Ugine is a bit nondescript, and the cyclepath there attractive but rather flat and uninteresting (for the alps anyway), you could park in Albertville and do the Col de Tamie and join the cycle path further up in Faverges. As its not the most taxing climb in the Alpes you could easily cycle back up the other side on the way back.

You could also park up in St Pierre d'Albigny and cycle up onto the Bauges and watch the tour on the Semnoz?
  • Hi, I am the host of the Team Sky Fanzone (which some call Brit Corner). We are on Facebook and Twitter https://www.facebook.com/groups/139830856157977 and @TeamSkyFanzone respectively. Our final stage Fanzone can be seen here at https://www.facebook.com/events/384168448327310/

We are also holding a spectating event if you are in Paris on Saturday 20th July at Le Frog XVI on Avenue Kleber from 1.30pm which can be seen at https://www.facebook.com/events/426900034043426/ so if you fancy discounted drinks and watching a potentially decisive day for the yellow jersey please come along and meet many cycling fans.

Oh, and you don't need to be British or a Team Sky fan to be welcome. Everyone is!
  • janogorzalek
    janogorzalek Posts: 209
    RE: Annecy stage.

I'm planning to do a similar thing.

Park in Ugine or similar, cycle along the path to Annecy to watch the start, then hopefully ride up the D41 to watch the rider on the last climb to Semnoz.

Can anyone advise if this won't be possible?!

Thanks!