Boston Marathon Explosions

nweststeyn
nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
Incase you haven't heard/seen/read yet - there have been 2 reported explosions close to the finish of the Boston Marathon, with many injured.

Comments

• CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    Watching BBC News channel now. Shocking. Words fail me..
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    If it turns out to be something sinister then it will have implications for Sunday in London I'd have thought.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    If it turns out to be something sinister then it will have implications for Sunday in London I'd have thought.

Well, as they have apparently found unexploded bombs, I guess it's sinister. :(
  • nweststeyn
    Early reports saying 2 dead and 20+ seriously injured
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    :cry:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Dreadful. My OH ran the Brighton marathon yesterday, which she entered after missing the deadline to enter the London ballot. Quite glad about that, now, I must say, although I expect security next Sunday will now be pretty tight.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • A marathon must be a security nightmare though, 26 miles, thousands of spectators, and are the 'competitors' dressed up in fancy dress searched for hidden explosives?
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    you can tune into boston police radio - theyre uncovering devices right now - does seem to be something orchestrated
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • shocking

will be speaking to people in boston office tomorrow. hoping they are ok. interesting to get the feelings from on the ground.
  • nweststeyn
    BBC Breaking News ‏@BBCBreaking 4m

#Boston police confirm another explosion at city's JFK Library following two blasts near #marathon site http://bbc.in/15bdjBP
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    xdoc wrote:
    A marathon must be a security nightmare though, 26 miles, thousands of spectators, and are the 'competitors' dressed up in fancy dress searched for hidden explosives?

Wasn't the film Four Lions about terrorists targeting the Marathon?

Scary stuff in Boston though - really tragic.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,807
    you can tune into boston police radio - theyre uncovering devices right now - does seem to be something orchestrated

http://tunein.com/radio/Boston-Police-F ... r-s146109/
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Tragic news.

Cowardly c'unts.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Careful on twitter, picture of the man who now has no legs is horrific, rare I see things that affect me so much (which is bad enough...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    apparently a man arrested in hospital. Very sad indeed.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    xdoc wrote:
    A marathon must be a security nightmare though, 26 miles, thousands of spectators, and are the 'competitors' dressed up in fancy dress searched for hidden explosives?

Wasn't the film Four Lions about terrorists targeting the Marathon?

Scary stuff in Boston though - really tragic.

It was and it's a really good film.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Akirasho
    Akirasho Posts: 1,892
    ... sad, but as most of you know, this cannot deter our resolve to live as peacefully and as free as possible.

As recent events have shown, it only takes an individual to profoundly affect many others by their actions. Not to be flippant, but the only thing we have to truly fear is fear itself. While it seems fairly clear that initially, this was no accident, and while we should remain diligent in defying such acts by continuing to live our lives, we still have no conclusive reported evidence of a deeper conspiracy. Sadly, this would not be the first time America has had to deal with a "home grown" terrorist. Sadly, too, it indeed could be the act of something more sinister (Secret Service ramped up at the White House just to be safe... and many military facilities increased their force protection levels (which are generally low)).

John Lennon said it best. Imagine.
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Very few things evoke genuine, white hot, ice cold hatred in me, but terrorist activity, whether 'home grown' one-offs or based on a fanactical pseudo-religious conviction, is one of those few.

In the UK, of course, terrorists are usually in both categories. What I find truly shameful is that the allegedly moderate communities they claim to represent don't do more to educate their own.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Very few things evoke genuine, white hot, ice cold hatred in me, but terrorist activity, whether 'home grown' one-offs or based on a fanactical pseudo-religious conviction, is one of those few.

In the UK, of course, terrorists are usually in both categories. What I find truly shameful is that the allegedly moderate communities they claim to represent don't do more to educate their own.
    Not that it matters one jot to those who are dead(god rest there souls) and the many injured.

Just to take issue there is as of yet no proof who did this disgusting act whether it be terrorist or some mis-guided individual lunatic with their own warped agenda. Unless, that is what you mean by "home grown" one-offs.

All very tragic anyway and just hope they get the offender/s.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.