Unusual Vintage Puch Road bike

beed84
beed84 Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in Road general
Hi,

I am new to the forum and relatively new to cycling, and was hoping I'd be able to get help here regarding a vintage Puch road bike I've recently acquired and intending to restore. I've searched high and low on the internet and found nothing. I've provided a link to a photo as I've struggled to upload it - I hope it helps. If anyone can provide information on the model, date, value and if decals can be obtained, and any other useful info, then I'd be most grateful.

http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/beed8 ... e.jpg.html

Thanks for looking and thanks for having me.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    When I posted something similar last year someone suggested http://www.retrobike.co.uk/

They have a forum more geared to renovation.
  • What are the parts and wheels? Is that a real Brooks or a copy? Knowing will make it easier to estimate, but somewhere like Retrobike or bikeforums might indeed be able to give you some insight on the origins of it. Aesthetically at a guess I'd assume mid '70s to early '80s with levers like those (they are similar to a pair I have), but that's spectulation. Are there extensions on them? I can't see in the photo.

Value? I own old bikes but I don't sell them. Prestige brand examples in NOS condition with Campag bits tend to fetch a bit more; otherwise I'd expect you to get more out of it by keeping it.

Decals? It's very possible that they exist, but the easiest way would be to get replicas made; it's not as authentic perhaps but if you were worried about that you probably wouldn't be respraying it.

Otherwise, it looks nice; I like that quirky top tube. It looks to me like it has 700c wheels (rather than 27"), which is handy. I'd be inclined to change the brake levers - newer non-aero levers with hoods would be the most authentic choice - and put on some nice clips and straps, assuming compatibility (I can't see what pedals those are). I'd leave it there, assuming that everything else is sound. Raise that saddle though. ;)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I'd be inclined to change the brake levers - newer non-aero levers with hoods would be the most authentic choice - and put on some nice clips and straps, assuming compatibility (I can't see what pedals those are). I'd leave it there, assuming that everything else is sound. Raise that saddle though. ;)

Easier to just get the hoods. Loads on Ebay for not much money.

As said, Retrobike is the place to go. And you'll need better pics for a valuation unless the frame shape gives it away. Puchs don't seem to normally be that high end (at least in the UK) but who knows. A lot of the time you are best off just stripping, cleaning and reassembling it. That and a proper clean and polish of the frame can make a huge difference to how a bike looks even without mucking about with paint and transfers.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • beed84
    beed84 Posts: 4
    I can't see a brand on the wheels, but they are 24". The stem is Milremo and the brakes are Wienmann type 810 and are working fine. Being a complete beginner in this idiom, I have no idea if it is a Brooks. Same as to whether there are extentions or not. The pedals are German made, that's all I have.

To be honest, I'm just curious as to regards to value. I found it at the back of an antique shop covered in dust, and managed to buy it for £30. I was taken in by its charm and thought a little tlc could bring it a long way. Either way, and even if I can't get the decals, I'd just like to get it up to scratch. It will need a repaint due to it being pitted with dust in a number of areas, and overall I will keep it for myself. I think once it has been done up, it will be a nice leisurely-riding single-geared bike.

Thanks for all your responses, they're much appreciated.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,302
    Is it not a bit small for you? I think it was meant as a racer for a kid with 24 inch rims
    left the forum March 2023
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    beed84 wrote:

To be honest, I'm just curious as to regards to value. I found it at the back of an antique shop covered in dust, and managed to buy it for £30.

That's how much it's worth then - £30.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Just because it's old doesn't attribute any intrinsic value and probably not even worth the cost of new frame decals I'm afraid - the fact it doesn't even have proper drop-outs, but just flattened and bashed tubes says a lot about the quality of manufacture. There are better bikes out there worthy of efforts.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    When i saw "Puch" i thought i wonder if it will be a "Clubleader" which i had brand new in 1976, but that bike is completely different even though it looks to be the same sort of vintage, mine had 5 speed Simplex gears and didnt have the strange bend in the top tube.