Just a few things...

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
So, just a few things I'd like to say.

No.1
I realized today exactly why people hate cyclists. They don't hate us - they hate the majority of commuters. I was waiting around in Inverness this morning and was shocked at the behavior of them. Riding straight past red lights as if they weren't there, filtering through traffic then holding it up for 200m while they struggled up a little hill etc.

Also, people don't realize that bottom brackets are now further from the ground than they once were. People still use the method of being able to just touch both feet on the floor to set saddle height. They all ride around looking like DH mountain bikers....

No.2
Helmets. I'm surprised if I see a cyclist with a helmet on now. Even 2 year-old kids on a bike ride with their parents don't have helmets - it's just wrong.

No.3
Saddle to bar drops - not meaning to cause offence to anyone, but I don't know what the problem is with handlebars lower than the saddle. Maybe it's big bellies, bad backs or something else but I'm seeing more and more road bikes with the bars higher than the saddle. As I said, please take no offense but it really annoys me.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    It's okay, dude.
  • declan1
    nweststeyn wrote:
    It's okay, dude.

Yeah, sorry. I was in a bad mood yesterday :lol:

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    No 3 applies to when saddle and bars are even level too, its not the bulk of people not being flexible enough, its the bulk of people not having a clue what a proper position is... or thinking daft high positions help, but you have to be f**ked physically to not at least have a reasonable saddle to bar drop.

The No.1 about people hating cyclists is fine though, the bulk of cyclists ride like arrogant road hogs I reckon, to file out immediately that a car is coming should be the norm, but people don't do it.
  • now im less than a year old into road biking, however how can you have your saddle lower than handlebars? that sounds most uncomfortable.
  • declan1
    Exactly. I've tried it (well, bars 1cm lower than saddle) and I couldn't ride for more than 5 miles before having to turn back and lower them again...

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• is there any kind of bike that you should be in that position?

i woud have thiough it would exasperate back problems.
  • declan1
    is there any kind of bike that you should be in that position?

i woud have thiough it would exasperate back problems.

It does. It puts more weight on your back, rather than spreading it out with a lower down position.

The only bikes that have that kind of position are mountain bikes and hybrids.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• im sure my mtn bike was higher saddle too or at least level!...but then again i couldnt raise the handlebars and i am a lanky f**k...maybe thats what fooked my back up a year ago!