new rims not true

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited April 2013 in Road general
I got my new felt z75 last week went out first ride sat only did about 20 mile and when I got back noticed the front rim had a bit of a wobble didn't go over any potholes or anything also being macic cxp 22 rims I thought they were tough I know they are not the best but for my level of riding they should be good enough anyone had this problem :lol:

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    pe1ter wrote:
    I got my new felt z75 last week went out first ride sat only did about 20 mile and when I got back noticed the front rim had a bit of a wobble didn't go over any potholes or anything also being macic cxp 22 rims I thought they were tough I know they are not the best but for my level of riding they should be good enough anyone had this problem :lol:
    How much is a bit of a wobble? A couple of mm is considered acceptable, more than that it may have just been a spoke or 2 not quite tensioned properly. Take it back to the shop you bought it from, it's a 15 minute job to true a wheel and no long tem damage done.
  • pe1ter
    got it from wiggle so I cant how much would shop charge to do it any ideas roughly
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    My local shop charged me £5 last year when my Bontrager wheels did the same thing. It takes 5 to 15 minutes max. Or do it yourself with a spoke key, plenty of videos on YouTube.
  • pe1ter
    cheers I think I will let shop do it if its only a few quid
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you sure its the rim and not just the stripy tyres ;-)

Is the rim actually moving towards and away from brake block?
    Or is it just that stripe on tyres wobbles when you look down on it?

My mate got his today and I thought it looked great.
    Did yours have white tyres?
  • chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    Had the same prob with my Z85, trip to LBS and it was sorted! What year is the z75, didn't see that offered, thought next one was the Z6!?
  • pe1ter
    Yes when you look down at brakes it is moving its defo not tyre
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    So if you just spin the wheel, can you see the rim moving towards brake blocks?
  • pinkteapot
    pinkteapot Posts: 367
    With apologies for the thread hijack, but on a near-identical note, how can you tell if it's the tyre or the rim if you've got disc brakes?

My front wheel has had the same sort of wobble since I got my bike. I just thought it was the tyre. The husband helped me fit a cycle computer the other day, span the front wheel to check it was working, and said "your wheel's completely out of true". :?
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    pinkteapot wrote:
    With apologies for the thread hijack, but on a near-identical note, how can you tell if it's the tyre or the rim if you've got disc brakes?

My front wheel has had the same sort of wobble since I got my bike. I just thought it was the tyre. The husband helped me fit a cycle computer the other day, span the front wheel to check it was working, and said "your wheel's completely out of true". :?

The proper way would be to take the wheel out and pop it in a wheel jig. As a quick check though, tape something (non damaging) to your forks and point it at the rim to act as a guide in the same way as a brake block would if you had some. It'll give you a reference point when you spin the wheel
  • pe1ter
    thanks for everyones comments but I think it might of been my fault :oops: went to lbs today the first thing he said was them tyres look low any way he gave me pump and there was only 40 psi in them :lol: