Road, hybrid, cyclocross?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
Hi all,

Currently have a 2010 Marin Palisades Trail, although with a 2012 warranty replaced Marin Nailtrail frame. Also upgraded the spec on groupset to larger variety, better wheel spec, mid road tyres, larger cassette etc to allow for faster road use.

Thinking about a new bike & not sure what to go for.

Been lent my mates 2011 Specialzed Secteur, which is a result as it’s done about 200 miles but due to a back injury he’s struggling with walking so I’ve serviced it & got the use of it for as long as I want. Only downside is I’m not sure I like the “narrow” drop bars on a road bike, so should I consider something other than a road bike? Hybrid? Cyclocross? I could of course then just put my Marin back to being an MTB.

Another bit of spin is that I’m going to need to buy it from Evans cycles as we can get 32% discount via the cycle to work scheme which gets taken out of our wage packet for 12 months, an interest free loan in a way. I was thinking about buying outright but then this is a useful option & they price match if in stock.

So looking for a 58cm frame (I’m 6’ 1”) so what to go for?

All thoughts gratefully received!

Russ

Comments

• raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Of course it depends entirely on what you'll be using the bike for. However, I'm a huge advocate of Cyclocross bikes generally; I've said before on here, that if I had to get rid of all my bikes (heaven forbid) and keep only one, it would have to be my 'cross bike, as it can cope with all the different types of riding I do. Evans have a good 'cross bike too - the Pinnacle - that comes with mudguard and rack eyelets, so you can even use it for commuting/touring.
    Good luck.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • russboy
    Cheers,

I did realise I hadn’t put on here what I’d use it for, DOH!

My ride to work is 3 miles each way mainly road but living up on Epsom downs on one particular road I use the path as there are no pedestrians but equally no protection from traffic on the 40 mph road, so I do throw the bike up and down the odd kerb, but doesn’t get ridden any harder than that. Although saying that one route home I go down about 12 church steps but I can avoid that in the future!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I wouldn't buy a bike specified for 3 miles each way conditions - you could ride that without issue on just about any bike. Even up and down the odd curb isn't beyond a road bike's capability...

From your comment about lack of protection from the traffic I guess you're not confident on the road (personally, I draw the line at dual carriageways - but other than that I'm happy on most A roads, but prefer the quieter ones) - so I would think there little point in getting a road bike.
    Do you intend to use the bike for anything other than commuting? Riding with family/friends? Wanting to take up cycling as a sport or getting fitter? Just exploring the countryside?

A CX or Hybrid (drops or flat bars) is mostly just compromised road/mountain bike - they're not best at road riding nor trails, but better than the extremes by virtue of being versatile. Slicks and it runs down the road at near roadbike speed, knobblies and you can take on the easier trails without bother. Flat bars are better if you're doing more offroad or casual riding whilst the drops of the CX I find beneficial with a greater portion of road riding - but it is down to personal preference.
  • russboy
    Slowbike wrote:
    I wouldn't buy a bike specified for 3 miles each way conditions - you could ride that without issue on just about any bike. Even up and down the odd curb isn't beyond a road bike's capability...

From your comment about lack of protection from the traffic I guess you're not confident on the road (personally, I draw the line at dual carriageways - but other than that I'm happy on most A roads, but prefer the quieter ones) - so I would think there little point in getting a road bike.
    Do you intend to use the bike for anything other than commuting? Riding with family/friends? Wanting to take up cycling as a sport or getting fitter? Just exploring the countryside?

A CX or Hybrid (drops or flat bars) is mostly just compromised road/mountain bike - they're not best at road riding nor trails, but better than the extremes by virtue of being versatile. Slicks and it runs down the road at near roadbike speed, knobblies and you can take on the easier trails without bother. Flat bars are better if you're doing more offroad or casual riding whilst the drops of the CX I find beneficial with a greater portion of road riding - but it is down to personal preference.

Confidence is not a prob, covered in excess of 4k miles in the last 3 years on the commute, plus the odd charity ride & ride out with my mate. It’s just that the 1st 0.5 mile is a narrow road adjacent to the Epsom race course but people don’t tend to stick to the limit so lorries coming past tend to blow you around a little, so instead I use the path as there are no pedestrians as really it only leads to the “Rubbing House” pub/restaurant & not too many people going there when I cycle past at 08:30!

As for use mainly the commute, possibly the occasional ride with friends, maybe some more charity rides. I back onto Langley Vale farm so can return my MTB back to use for going for a blat across there.

Interesting what you say about the drop bars etc, I just find them a little uncomfortable but having been on an MTB semi converted to a hybrid for 3 years maybe I’ll get used to it.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If you have the use of a road bike for a while, I would say ride it and see how you get on with drops. I prefer flats and bought a Boardman Hybrid (basically a flat bar CX bike) - wouldnt change it for the world. But if I had a loan of a bike with drops, I would try it for a while and THEN decide. Silly to take the plunge one way or the other without using your free trial...!

Hybrid is a catch all that covers a huuuge span - could mean anything from a flat bar road bike to a big wheel mountain bike.

If you want flats then from Evans I would certainly look at the Specialized Sirrus (comfortable ride)(although the component spec on them is poor for the money these days) or the Whyte Portobello/Stirling (great bikes - really lively, fast and fun)

For drop bars, the Pinnacle of Jamis CX bikes get good stuff said about them on here I think.

If its for the commute, watch that whatever you get can take guards and a rack - and if you have space for wider tyres then this might help you move over from your older bike - 25s or 28s make a big difference from skinny 23s.

Hope some of that helps.
  • apreading
    Oh - and just because home is 3 miles from work, doesnt mean your commute has to be that short - I really got into finding less direct routes home last year when the weather was nice - good easy way to do some training and enjoy the summer (all 3 days of it!).

My 5 mile commute was occasionally as much as 35 miles. Just needs a different mentality.
  • raymondo60
    Russboy wrote:
    ....My ride to work is 3 miles each way mainly road but living up on Epsom downs on one particular road I use the path as there are no pedestrians ....

You're the second Epsom based rider I have chatted with in the last two days Russboy. I live in between the Downs and the Town and commute to London 3/4 times a week. We'll have to start a cycle/social group!
    Good luck
    Raymondo

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I'm not about to get all high and mighty about pavement riding - you know the road and I don't...

The advise about using the free loaner is good. I've always had drop bar bikes so when I borrowed a flat bar sirrus for the commute in December the lack of aero position did bother me a bit. Enough that when I got my own hybrid I went for a drop bar cx.
  • russboy
    apreading wrote:
    Oh - and just because home is 3 miles from work, doesnt mean your commute has to be that short - I really got into finding less direct routes home last year when the weather was nice - good easy way to do some training and enjoy the summer (all 3 days of it!).

My 5 mile commute was occasionally as much as 35 miles. Just needs a different mentality.

I know what you mean, in the summer I extend the ride home to get some more fresh air, but cant be too late back as I look after our little boy whislt my other half get his bath & bed ready, plus I do all the cooking in my house!
  • russboy
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Russboy wrote:
    ....My ride to work is 3 miles each way mainly road but living up on Epsom downs on one particular road I use the path as there are no pedestrians ....

You're the second Epsom based rider I have chatted with in the last two days Russboy. I live in between the Downs and the Town and commute to London 3/4 times a week. We'll have to start a cycle/social group!
    Good luck

If you're local you'll know where I am then, Langley Vale. The road from my place to the Rubbing House isnt the safest for cyclists, plus you really feel you're holding the traffic up on there.
  • russboy
    Slowbike wrote:
    I'm not about to get all high and mighty about pavement riding - you know the road and I don't...

The advise about using the free loaner is good. I've always had drop bar bikes so when I borrowed a flat bar sirrus for the commute in December the lack of aero position did bother me a bit. Enough that when I got my own hybrid I went for a drop bar cx.

I knew it would be a controversial thing to say on here but it is a fast moving, narrow road & you can feel the impatience of the drivers waiting to get past as more often than not there simply isn’t the room to pass. Any time I see the occasional walker/jogger I pull over for them. In fact mostly I see another cyclist 1 day every couple of weeks, really isn’t a pedestrian route.

This is the road in question & at 08:30 it’s a lot busier than this:

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=kt18+6 ... 4,,0,-8.65
  • russboy
    Narrowing down my options now want:

Disc brakes - The braking effiency feels so much better
    Fixed forks (correct terminology?) as I dont feel I really need suspension forks
    Cannondale? - Dont know why, just always wanted one when I was a kid, although this ones not set in stone :mrgreen:
  • apreading
    If you want a Cannondale that is slap bang in the middle of the wide gulf between road and mountain bikes, there is the 'Bad Boy' 29er http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... tch__plid_

More like a mountain bike in many ways but rigid fork and 29er wheels that could take road bike thin tyres or much fatter ones if you want a softer ride.

Wouldnt float my boat, personally but many like them.

Also the CAADX seem to be well regarded.

I think you will get a much better bike and better spec components from a less high profile brand though.

Personally, I would go Boardman but you cant get them from Evans.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is your maximum budget?
  • russboy
    supersonic wrote:
    What is your maximum budget?

£1k as that's the max you can go up to on the cycle to work scheme.
    apreading wrote:
    If you want a Cannondale that is slap bang in the middle of the wide gulf between road and mountain bikes, there is the 'Bad Boy' 29er http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... tch__plid_

More like a mountain bike in many ways but rigid fork and 29er wheels that could take road bike thin tyres or much fatter ones if you want a softer ride.

Wouldnt float my boat, personally but many like them.

Also the CAADX seem to be well regarded.

I think you will get a much better bike and better spec components from a less high profile brand though.

Personally, I would go Boardman but you cant get them from Evans.

Yeah I did look at that Cannondale but probably not for me. I could in theory buy it outrite (bonus payday this Friday, lol!) but it seems sensible to take the government incentive & get 32% for paying from my pay packet.

I’ve been through all the hybrids & cyclocross bikes in stock (or soon to be) in my size, found 9 in total!!

Specialized Sirrus Elite Disc 2013 Hybrid Bike - £750
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042536

For: Cheaper, disk brakes
    Against: Component spec?

Specialized Sirrus Comp 2013 Hybrid Bike - £800
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec030743

For: Looks
    Against: No disk brakes

Specialized Sirrus Comp Disc 2013 Hybrid Bike - £900
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... e-ec042537

For: Disk brakes, looks, customer reviews
    Against:

Cannondale Quick SL 2 2013 Hybrid Bike - £799.99
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec042951

For: Looks, customer reviews
    Against: no disk brakes

Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2013 Cyclocross Bike - £949.99
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec042907

Against: No disk brakes & drop bars

Scott Metrix 20 2013 Hybrid Bike - £849.
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec046552

For:
    Against: No disk brakes

Scott Speedster 50 Triple 2013 Flat Bar Road Bike - £599 – downside no disk brakes, but cheap & looks good
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/sco ... e-ec046556

For: Price, looks, customer reviews
    Against: No disc brakes

BMC Alpenchallenge AC01 Alivio/Deore 700c 2013 Hybrid Bike - £900
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc ... e-ec044539

For: Looks, disk brakes
    Against:

Fuji Cross 2.1 2013 Cyclocross Bike
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec041847

Against: No disc brakes & drop bars

………………….. So vanity is playing a part on some of the above as that’s over ruling the disc brakes rule but equally some of you may be aware of some of these & say they are fantasic, or of course the complete opposite!!
  • apreading
    The Jamis is still worth a look? viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12899763&p=18084336&hilit=jamis#p18084336

Be careful with that Cannondale Quick SL 2 if you have ever eaten a pie - seriously low spoke count...?
  • russboy
    apreading wrote:
    The Jamis is still worth a look? viewtopic.php?f=40012&t=12899763&p=18084336&hilit=jamis#p18084336

Be careful with that Cannondale Quick SL 2 if you have ever eaten a pie - seriously low spoke count...?

I did wonder on that!

I'm 6' 1" & 14.5 stone ............... but thats cause I go to the gym Mon, Wed, Fri lunchtime, play badminton Tue, Thu lunchtime & then play for 3 hours on a Fri night, walk the dogs 1.5 miles every day & of course cycle to & fro work everyday.

So im not a (very) fat 14.5 stone as i'm fairly active! :lol:
  • supersonic
    Would converting another MTB interest you? The specs often tend to be a little better on MTBs.
  • russboy
    supersonic wrote:
    Would converting another MTB interest you? The specs often tend to be a little better on MTBs.

Mmm, not really, that's kind of what I did with my Marin (poor pic attached). Kind of want to buy something as is & fit for purpose.
  • supersonic
    Reason why I asked is as I think when done right you can get a better bike for purpose - MTBs tend to be better parts value than CX and hybrids. Saying that though your proposed usage does seem to lean more towards the road side of things.

I ride a converted MTB - I find it offers a great combo of high speed efficiency (aero clip ons, bar ends), and low speed handling (wider bars) which is great for the roads, rougher paths and even a quick spot of offroading. I do think bike like this are superior to CX bikes in flexibility, value, mud clearance and all out performance.
  • raymondo60
    Russboy wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Russboy wrote:

Good luck

If you're local you'll know where I am then, Langley Vale. The road from my place to the Rubbing House isnt the safest for cyclists, plus you really feel you're holding the traffic up on there.

Ride that road regularly russboy in both directions. To be honest that's not the worst road around here by a mile - just keep well to the left. It is a bit steep if you haven't had a chance to warm up (!) but its a well-used route for many cyclists.
    Raymondo

• russboy
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Russboy wrote:
    Raymondo60 wrote:
    Russboy wrote:

Good luck

Ride that road regularly russboy in both directions. To be honest that's not the worst road around here by a mile - just keep well to the left. It is a bit steep if you haven't had a chance to warm up (!) but its a well-used route for many cyclists.

Lol, it's right outside my front door so no warm up time for me!

I do see a lot of cyclists on there especially at the weekend but trust me, 08:30 on a weekday & it's nuts!
  • russboy
    Ok having used the drop bars for a couple of weeks I now find them the norm so going to opt for a road bike & keep my mountain bike for mucking about on the farm behind my place.

Took a trip to Evans in Wimbledon & Guildford on Saturday. Went specifically to Guildford to see this in a 58cm frame:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec042915

I did like it but maybe a little dull to look at so was told this was an option:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... e-ec042921

However when I was there I have to admit loving the look of others:

Moda: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mod ... e-ec044169
    Norco: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/nor ... e-ec041253
    Eddy Merckx: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/edd ... e-ec039948
    Eddy Merckx: http://www.evanscycles.com/products/edd ... e-ec043542

Really liked the look of the Norco, being realistic the Merckx are out of my price range.

However this looked awesome in the flesh, good spec for a carbon frame as well:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec041457

Plus with their part ex scheme (any old bike valid) I can get it down to £1190.

Anyone with experience on the above, preferences? Once I’ve ultimately decided what I want I’m going to hunt around for it being cheaper elsewhere & see if I can get them to price match!