Pedaling technique

Zamzae
Zamzae Posts: 7
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Hi, I bought SPD for the first time, but I can't understand pedaling technique, can someone explain me that technique, because I don't feel faster than on flat pedals. Thank you!

Comments

• vanamees
    vanamees Posts: 75
    You have to pedal faster. SPD is not a engine what drives your bike.
  • Zamzae
    Yes, but how? It isn't same technique with flat and SPD pedals...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Why not? Your bike will go as fast as you can pedal. SPD's don't make you pedal faster.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    Scientific studies suggest that technique makes very little difference, just pedal harder/faster...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    It's no different to flats. I have SPD pedals. Not sure what you were expecting but they aren't anything to do with speed.

Just get better leg muscles.
  • vanamees
    It's no different to flats. I have SPD pedals. Not sure what you were expecting but they aren't anything to do with speed.

Dont tell it to XC and road racers.
  • bennett_346
    I am an XC racer lol.
  • vanamees
    I am an XC racer lol.
    Why you use SPD?
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Erm, put your feet on the pedals, push the cranks round, same as with flats... Only difference is you clip in first... Is it not obvious?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • ddraver
    vanamees wrote:

They do appear to be more efficient (and so may be faster over a race), but if you re not racing then it's not something you'd notice
    - @ddraver
  • vanamees
    ddraver wrote:
    vanamees wrote:

They do appear to be more efficient (and so may be faster over a race), but if you re not racing then it's not something you'd notice
    Clippless pedals are efficient for racing but not efficient if you dont race?
  • cooldad
    One does not necessarily preclude the other.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    vanamees wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    vanamees wrote:

Clippless pedals are efficient for racing but not efficient if you dont race?

Do you care if they re more\less efficient if you re not racing? Would suggest that other factors are far more important in that case...
    - @ddraver
  • bennett_346
    vanamees wrote:
    I am an XC racer lol.
    Why you use SPD?
    Why not?
  • cooldad
    Because you will forget to unclip, topple over in front of a crowd of people, and look like a right tit.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Not that it's ever happened to me using toe clips in front of a few thousand people, obviously.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ddraver
    cooldad wrote:
    Not that it's ever happened to me using toe clips in front of a few thousand people, obviously.

That explains so much about you... :wink: :P
    - @ddraver
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Different studies show different findings. Last one I read basically said that SPD's are not more efficient than flats in fact it was the other way round. But SPDs can allow you to generate more power.

The pulling action you can use with SPDs creates more power but it is an inefficient way to use your legs. The most efficient use of your legs being to only use the down stroke to generate a force ie what you do with flats.

There are a few reasons for SPDs; your feet are in the exact same position every time you clip in, you are less likely to get bounced off your pedals on rough terrain and as said already you can generate more power. But they won't magically make you faster.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    your feet are in the exact same position every time you clip in, you are less likely to get bounced off your pedals on rough terrain

These are the only reasons for me.
  • bennett_346
    Same. Those are the reasons i use them. It makes the experience more comfortable for me as i can spend less time thinking about how to keep my feet glued to the pedals when im standing up and pedalling over rough and more time thinking about where i'm going.
  • ilovedirt
    supersonic wrote:
    your feet are in the exact same position every time you clip in, you are less likely to get bounced off your pedals on rough terrain

This, I just like the fact that I know my feet aren't going to go anywhere.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I know many people who ride much better on flats than I can on SPD's, but I feel more confident on SPD's, and other than flat out smooth surfaces, confidence is the biggest speed improver available, much better than losing weight or better tyres e.t.c.

You can with training get a slight power benefit on uphills by pulling up on the pedals, but I struggle to keep pulling at higher cadences, but it at least gives your quads a bit of a break!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Zamzae wrote:
    can someone explain me that technique, because I don't feel faster than on flat pedals
    The most important thing is to understand what SPDs do. They strengthen the weakest part of your leg - your feet. If you imagine the shoes are the actual pedal platform and the 'pedals' are simply a means of attaching the platform to the crank you won't go far wrong. By the same token using flexible SPD shoes is like using flexible pedals

Because you now have a larger surface area to press down on, your feet will have an easier time. If this makes you pedal faster that's great. If it makes you ride further that's a bonus but there's no magic involved that will automatically make you go faster.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    supersonic wrote:

+1

To the OP - who told you that SPD's will make you go faster?..if it was a LBS - name and shame. Or was it just a misunderstanding?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    I always thought the main difference was the stiffness of the sole that is typically found on SPD shoes (excluding touring SPDs) which allows greater efficiency.

Plus flats look a bit silly when wearing Lycra ;)
  • Woodmonkey
    Woodmonkey Posts: 412
    anj132 wrote:

Plus flats look a bit silly when wearing Lycra ;)

Wearing Lycra definitely makes you faster with no extra effort, especially the more bulk you squeeze into it
    pity those who don't drink, the way they feel when they wake is the best they will feel all day

voodoo hoodoo
  • Zamzae
    But why ALL racers have SPD?

And, I asked, how to learn technique pushing and PULLING pedals?
  • ilovedirt
    Not ALL racers have SPDs, but most do, because as people said, it keeps your feet on the pedals.
    Also, as people have already said, maybe it is a little more efficient in a race context, but average joe won't notice it.

And if you want to pull up on the pedals then do it! There isn't any magical technique to riding clips.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Not ALL racers have SPDs, but most do, because as people said, it keeps your feet on the pedals.
    Also, as people have already said, maybe it is a little more efficient in a race context, but average joe won't notice it.

To be fair I doubt you'll see a single expert or elite XC racer without clipless pedals. DH it's pretty universal at the top, Minnaar (IIRC?) is the only person to achieve a top 10 at a World Cup on flats in the last 2 years.

The only thing I'd really add is that my coach said he was always taught to imagine he was scraping mud off the bottom of his shoe on every pedal stroke - so scoop it through the 6 o'clock point. As said, there is no massive revolution to clipless pedals. There are plenty of studies to suggest you can't pull up on the pedals, but with stiffer shoes and potentially ideal consistent foot placement you're unlikely to be less efficient on clips.