Leisure Pants

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Can't believe I wrote that title...

Anyhow, I'm looking for some reasonably tidy track bottoms/stretchy trousers for post-ride wear.

For reference, the Assos DB.Zero things would be good.
DBZero_trackPants_3.jpg

Something that is a bit smarter than just a pair of tracksuit bottoms but would be comfortable after your 4th day in a row riding a century. I've been pointed towards some by LuLuLemon which (apart from the brand name) also look good but aren't available in my size.

http://www.lululemon.co.uk/products/clo ... =men-pants

Any ideas? Inverness isn't exactly overwhelmed by shops for this sort of thing.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• I've got a couple of pairs of walking / climbing trousers that I use from the likes of North Face. Tend to be a bit more technical than tracksuit pants, fold up v small, light, water resistant, lots of pockets, a bit of stretch in material, tight enough to wear on the bike at a push. What's not to like?
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • meanredspider
    I've got a couple of pairs of walking / climbing trousers

Cool - that's an interesting idea. No shortage of walking/climbing shops in Inverness

The Rapha Transfer Trousers looked like a possibility too (albeit a pricey option)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    I've got a couple of pairs of walking / climbing trousers

Cool - that's an interesting idea. No shortage of walking/climbing shops in Inverness

The Rapha Transfer Trousers looked like a possibility too (albeit a pricey option)

It's what i tend to use, walking/climbing trousers for biking, neat enough for my work as well.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I feel embarrassed to post that I found a pair of Craghoppers Winter-lined Kiwis to be ideal winter commuting trews. On that basis,I'm keeping an eye out for the non-winter version. Seem to be regularly on sale/discounted at a number of internet places; from sportsdirect to direct supply from regatta/dare2b.
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Great news. I have just checked and 16-18 Bridge Street, Inverness, will answer all your clothing needs.

It is your nearest Primark Store :)
    'fool'
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Great news. I have just checked and 16-18 Bridge Street, Inverness, will answer all your clothing needs.

:D Ha ha! In all seriousness, is there a real need to spend over £100 on a pair of vaguely bike related and overpriced track bottoms? You can pick up a pair of smart technical tracksuit bottoms from SportsDirect for around £20, or a pair of lightweight hiking/multi activity trousers for around £60 from outdoor gear shops.
  • meanredspider
    kelsen wrote:

:D Ha ha! In all seriousness, is there a real need to spend over £100 on a pair of vaguely bike related and overpriced track bottoms? You can pick up a pair of smart technical tracksuit bottoms from SportsDirect for around £20, or a pair of lightweight hiking/multi activity trousers for around £60 from outdoor gear shops.

For sure. Whilst I'm not interested in some cheap nasty crap made by child labour, I'll be very happy if I can pick up something good quality at a reasonable price.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    If you want walking trousers then look at the Craghoppers stuff that Sportpursuit regularly have on sale.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • meanredspider
    Asprilla wrote:
    If you want walking trousers then look at the Craghoppers stuff that Sportpursuit regularly have on sale.

In need them too soon to consider Sportpursuit but thanks for the idea
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Asprilla wrote:

This or this any good? Have found SD deliver v.promptly - last order placed Sunday morning and delivered Monday.

(no referral codes, either! :wink: )
  • meanredspider
    DrLex wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

This or this any good? Have found SD deliver v.promptly - last order placed Sunday morning and delivered Monday.

(no referral codes, either! :wink: )

They look promising - thanks.

One of the things that irritates me about SD is their "ref." price against which they calculate their savings - they're often (always?) over the RRP. Quick scan suggests that SD's ref. £44.99 is against an RRP of £40. Found this when ordering #2 son soccer boots too. I know you should only look at the actual price but it doesn't give you a good feeling when they start by being a bit misleading.

Might find some time during the day to escape work and visit a couple of outdoor shops
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've got a couple of pairs of walking / climbing trousers that I use from the likes of North Face. Tend to be a bit more technical than tracksuit pants, fold up v small, light, water resistant, lots of pockets, a bit of stretch in material, tight enough to wear on the bike at a push. What's not to like?

I have a couple of pairs of Mountain Equipment walking trousers which I like (though mainly for walking rather than lounging!) - particularly nice as they have slimmer fit options though these aren't that widely available. Those were about £50ish give or take a bit. They dry quickly and roll up small and look reasonably smart.

Steer clear of the Assos and Rapha. Nothing more tragic than wearing kit made by cycling kit companies when you aren't cycling!* It just reeks of trying too hard.

*Unless of course you are in a trendy cappucino bar in That London. In that case of course you look a bit of a plank no matter what you are wearing.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Craghoppers Classic Kiwis from Go Outdoors- there's one in Inverness. About £40 or so. Light, quick drying and the breeze doesn't cut through them.

Cheers,
    W.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I bought a pair of Berghaus trousers a couple of weeks ago, stretch material and very very comfortable. If buying online they do come up a bit big, I'm a 34 waist and I bought a 32 which are a perfect fit. Lightweight too.
  • Hot Orange
    Hot Orange Posts: 157
    I wear the standard Craghoppers Kiwis on the commute throughout the winter, with tights underneath if it's particularly chilly. They do the job perfectly. You can usually find them with a tenner or so off at Debenhams.
    Summer: 2012 Trek Madone 3.5
    Winter: 2013 Trek Crockett 5
  • meanredspider
    Cool - thanks all. I think I'm on track now (excuse the unintended pun) - think I'd gone up a blind alley so thanks for turning me around and pointing me in the right direction!
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    think I'd gone up a blind alley

...and you don't want to do that in your pants!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    TK maxx will probably have something decent at a cheaper price...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The term "leisure pants" kind of bogs me down somewhere round this:
    Jennifer-Lopez-pink-tracksuit-pink-Hermes-birkin-bag.jpg

Mind you, I do have a pair of women's fleece trousers that I wear in lieu of a dressing gown around the house when I'm up early in the morning, I believe they cost £3 at Primark...
  • meanredspider
    PBo wrote:
    TK maxx will probably have something decent at a cheaper price...

Ah - now Mrs MRS loves nothing more than a rummage at Tacky Max - she's actually found some half-decent stuff there over the years including some nice Fjall Raven stuff.