Cycle maintenance courses

renevat
renevat Posts: 56
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Has anybody been on the two week cycle maintenance course run by 'Cycle Systems Academy', or any other similar course that they can recommend?

Comments

• goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Never been on one, but how much more beneficial could it be than some good quality youtube clips? And there are some good ones out there.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    I go to the Pedaller's Arms in Leeds. Its more of a drop-in thing than a structured course, although I do believe they offer them.

I find it far more useful than a video. You can see things from different angles, ask questions and ask people to slow down and speed up as you wish.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Is there really two weeks worth of stuff to know about bicycle maintenance?

How much are they charging for it?
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I go to the Pedaller's Arms in Leeds. Its more of a drop-in thing than a structured course, although I do believe they offer them.

I find it far more useful than a video. You can see things from different angles, ask questions and ask people to slow down and speed up as you wish.
    The Pedaller's Arms probably isn't very handy for someone who lives in Cambs like the OP but I live North of Leeds and work there so this is definitely interesting to me.

Thanks for the pointer.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    +1 for Pedaller's, if you live in Leeds they're well worth a visit.

There are similar bike co-ops all over the place, it's worth finding out if there's one near you.
  • renevat
    lotus49 wrote:
    Is there really two weeks worth of stuff to know about bicycle maintenance?

How much are they charging for it?

Just below £1300 for two weeks instruction and a 'nationaly recognised' qualifucation that is recognised by the cycling industry/world.
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    renevat wrote:
    Has anybody been on the two week cycle maintenance course run by 'Cycle Systems Academy', or any other similar course that they can recommend?
    what are you really wanting out of it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    If you want to become a bike mechanic, it might be worthwhile. Otherwise, just head to the Park Tools website - it has pretty much everything you need to know about home bike maintainance.
  • renevat
    nicklouse wrote:
    renevat wrote:

What do I want out of it? As I am approaching retirement I was thinking that maybe a cycle cafe with a workshop an adjoining workshop would be a useful retirement/present to myself and, perhaps, provide a service/venue for cyclists.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    renevat wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    renevat wrote:

What do I want out of it? As I am approaching retirement I was thinking that maybe a cycle cafe with a workshop an adjoining workshop would be a useful retirement/present to myself and, perhaps, provide a service/venue for cyclists.
    Ok so having the bit of paper saying you can fix bikes is not really of any value to you. It might be to the "business" but you are not going to get any more wage from the boss. ;)

TBH I would read Parktools webby on fixing bikes and then use that it highlight what you can and can not do.
    then see of the things you cant do do you want to beable to do. then look at training for those areas.

Have a read through this viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=12650967 might make you smile.

would I spend money on a 2 week session? nope. i would spend it on the tools I will need.

but a lot will depend on your background and current abilitys re bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • renevat
    nicklouse wrote:
    renevat wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    renevat wrote:

Ok so having the bit of paper saying you can fix bikes is not really of any value to you. It might be to the "business" but you are not going to get any more wage from the boss. ;)

TBH I would read Parktools webby on fixing bikes and then use that it highlight what you can and can not do.
    then see of the things you cant do do you want to beable to do. then look at training for those areas.

would I spend money on a 2 week session? nope. i would spend it on the tools I will need.

Thanks for that nicklouse, lot of sense in what you say and amazing some of the stuff you have on your link. I will certainly have a look at the Park Tools site but have to say my abilities with regards to bike maintenance are fairly minimal and should also mention that I can get most of the course paid for with funding that is available to me from my time in the RAF, not quite a free course but fairly reduced cost.
  • robertsims
    robertsims Posts: 141
    renevat wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    renevat wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    renevat wrote:

Thanks for that nicklouse, lot of sense in what you say and amazing some of the stuff you have on your link. I will certainly have a look at the Park Tools site but have to say my abilities with regards to bike maintenance are fairly minimal and should also mention that I can get most of the course paid for with funding that is available to me from my time in the RAF, not quite a free course but fairly reduced cost.

Ah now if your not paying that is different. Then I would do it. Will help give far better understanding and help in your new venture - best of luck with cafe/workshop
    Triban 3
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yes good luck with it, the cafe/workshop sounds a great idea
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    nicklouse wrote:
    renevat wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    renevat wrote:

Not exactly.

There are legal and insurance considerations that you are overlooking. If you are thinking of starting a cycle cafe and workshop (not a bad idea) having a recognised qualification could make quite a difference to your insurers and, if anything went pear-shaped, to your legal position in case anyone sued you. Saying you learned it all on You Tube and copying what you saw the guy do on the Park Tools Website (albeit a brilliant website) probably won't cut much ice.