New MTBadvice

Silent
Silent Posts: 49
edited June 2013 in MTB buying advice
hi

i have recently sold my 2005 Marin alpine trail as it needed loads of new bits and pieces and i ended up with a fair price for it. i got it cheap 6 years ago.

i now need a replacement. if i go through the cyclescheme at work i can get up to 42% off a new bike. i am toying going back to hard tail and visited chelmer cycles in chelmsford - they only stock cannondale and mondraker and the cheapest full susser was £1500. my initial cash budget is £500 but cyclescheme i could go up to £1000.

is there a good full susser available up to £1000?

i am 5' 10" and mostly cycle single track and trail centre routes when i go to thetford etc. i aim to start hitting more again this year and didn't cycle at all last basically.

all my local routes we regularly cycle are seawalls, woods, up and down trails througn maldon, heybridge and the dengie and the canal to chelmsford.

i have ridden a full sus bike now for 10yrs plus, my previous bike prior to marin alpine trail was a GT i-drive 4. would i miss it to much?

i sat on a cannondale 29" bike today and it felt nice, it was a grand for the sl2 - i sat the sl4 which was £700.

happy to go old models a yr or 2 back if the specs are right. or is 2nd hand the way to go?
Marin Alpine Trail 05, with a nice nex fox float on the back!

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    How about this? Great bike if a medium is the right size for you
    http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p350 ... %282011%29
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    I picked up the Boardman FS Team last year on the cycle to work scheme, great bike and probably the best full suss you will get for £1k.

It was £999 last year but I think the price has now gone up to £1049, as C2W has a £1k limit you would have to negotiate a discount to get it on the C2W scheme.
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Cyclescheme means you can use Decathlon, their 9.1 and 9.2 Rockriders are good FS for under the £1K - sorted.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Silent
    cheers guys. i want to sit on the beasts before purchase but the giant looks nice as does the rockrider 9.1. are they as good as everyone says?

i looked at the boardmans, are they great?

all those full sussers seem to offer great spec for low prices.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Boardmans are very good, but not available through cyclescheme.

The RR's are better than everyone says...whoever everyone is!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Silent
    i am going to visit the lakeside decathlon store, maybe sunday afternoon, to view the 9.1 full susser. looks a bargain.
  • Silent
    right, i have now decided to go the 29'r route having sat on some in my local shop.

and also will probably go for a hardtail due to the riding i do - flat around essex and singletrack.

have tried a trek and a whyte in cyclesuk and will view some giants. not sure whats the best but my size is 17-17.5" that i know. any reccomendations for around 7-900
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Boardmans are very good, but not available through cyclescheme.

The RR's are better than everyone says...whoever everyone is!

Erm, but the cogniscenti say that the RRs are good!! In fact a quick search of BR will tell you that they are test winners in WMB.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Silent
    i dont think they are on the scheme, will check though