Too heavy for carbon???

rapid_donkey
rapid_donkey Posts: 448
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
I am thinking about getting a carbon mtb, the bikes Im looking out for being a Lapierre Zesty, Cannondale Jekyll or Giant Trance Advanced.
I am seriously considering this: http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.p ... 1b0s1p4261

My riding is mainly trail centres, red and black routes, Ive done the Peaks and plan to do alot more there and some Welsh adventures this year too.

I am 5'10" and my weight fluctuates between 80-82 kg's. So around 85 kg with my gear on.

I know Im not super heavy, but Im looking at probably a used bike, and I know some manufacturers only warranty the frame for the original purchaser.

Anyone got any experience or know any of the manufacturers weight limits on carbon bikes?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Really does depend on the model - they usually state somewhere in the archives. But I have very rarely seen limits on MTB frames.

I wouldn't be worried.
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Watch this video:

http://youtu.be/xreZdUBqpJs

Then come back here.

:lol:
  • Barrelmaker
    Barrelmaker Posts: 188
    The limits on a decent carbon bike will be far heavier than your 85kg. I've not looked but I assume that the video link above is Santa Cruz destroying one of their frames. Its strong stuff.
  • piker
    piker Posts: 353
    I really want a on one 456 carbon build,that vids just put any worries to rest.
  • Plyphon
    piker wrote:

And then you realize the 456C is totally overbuilt in places compared to other carbon frames...!
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I wouldn't have a 456C, that thing would rattle my fillings out in seconds.
  • piker
    I wouldn't have a 456C, that thing would rattle my fillings out in seconds.

What carbon frame would you recommend at that price point,has to take a 140-150mm fork and be strong.
  • piker
    Plyphon wrote:
    piker wrote:

And then you realize the 456C is totally overbuilt in places compared to other carbon frames...!

Is it not overbuilt in the places it needs to be.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The 456c is to my knowledge the only carbon hardtail around designed for 150mm forks. I actually find mine pretty comfy over longer rides, it damps vibrations out well, better than my old alu frames.
  • bennett_346
    Wow, your old alu frames must have been built like tanks :lol:

Even bikeradar didn't like it:
    Despite the decent RockShox Revelation fork, the brutal stiffness of the mainframe gave us a proper beating through our hands and feet even on short – albeit rocky – descents. In fact, if we didn’t pull over and shake our hands out halfway down the hill, arm pump became a real problem when trying to keep pace with the other, more forgiving bikes.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yeah but the BR testers must be all wimps. Real men can handle brutal stiffness and a bit of a beating.
    Some even enjoy it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    I find the stiffness goes hand in hand with lycra, and it's always good to have a chain whip to hand.
  • lawman
    There's been alot of debate over that review, because literally nobody I know who has owned or ridden one ever agreed with it. My old Maxlight was hardly a tank, under 1.kg including the headset and seatclamp, was a really good frame. The only thing that gets me on the 456c is the noise, every single little rattle echos through the frame, its almost as bad as an Orange 5!!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Big tyres. Problem (if any) gone.
  • Wow, your old alu frames must have been built like tanks :lol:

Even bikeradar didn't like it:
    Despite the decent RockShox Revelation fork, the brutal stiffness of the mainframe gave us a proper beating through our hands and feet even on short – albeit rocky – descents. In fact, if we didn’t pull over and shake our hands out halfway down the hill, arm pump became a real problem when trying to keep pace with the other, more forgiving bikes.

Its a very comfy ride as hardtails go. Strengthened in the areas it needs it, considering its a long travel hardtail, it smooths out the bumps at the back nicely. This shoot review always gets pulled out - it was preceded by an exemplary review by the same people funnily enough - very contradictory and I've never understood why. Maybe advertising space and loyalties had something to do with it?

Unfortunately, sugar abuse as a child has meant a gob full of metal, though I've not lost one due to a stiff frame yet - or anything else stiff for that matter!! ;D
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • lawman
    Just to reiterate if it was even needed, taken from a Bikeradar review before the one mentioned above -
    The Carbon 456 builds on the success of the original by taking tried-and-tested long-travel geometry, losing some weight and adding a dollop of carbon comfort. Although this is a super-stiff frame, the light build and inherent vibration damping qualities of carbon give this bike a lithe, agile feel that’s completely at odds with its ability to swallow boulders whole.

With 140mm of travel plugged into a chassis that’s incredibly resistant to twist and flex, it’s no surprise the On-One descends well. But the low weight and comfy vibration-absorbing frame also make light work of climbs, giving this bike genuine potential for all-day epics.

It's by no means a super soft bike, but it is very comfy for what it is, a Cove Stiffee or an mmmbop for example are much harsher.
  • Plyphon
    Yeah, I don't find it harsh/stiff at all really.

I mean, "it is", but only as stiff as you'd want it to be to get the power to the ground. Not bone shattering at all. :)