SPD to CB...worth it?

felix.london
felix.london Posts: 4,067
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm thinking of changing my tried, tested and trusted Shimano M530 pedals and going for a set of Crank Brothers Mallets.

Anyone made this switch (or the other way) and can give me pro's and con's of each?

Had a short ride on a pair of Mallets over the weekend - I was wearing snowboard boots so can't really make a judgement call but they definitely felt like they had a much better platform to put down a few pedal strokes when not clipped in.

Any advice appreciated
"Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes.

The Mallets are:

- easier engagement
    - more float
    - easier to get out of
    - have the platform and for support and should you "miss" an engagement (you won't)
    - used by most of the top pros so well developed.
    - have a 5 year warranty so the oft-mentioned "reliability" issues shouldn't be.....(I'm 98kg, have two pairs and haven't had a problem at all.

The Shimanos are:

- smaller
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • felix.london
    Ha! Cheers.

Seems like about 90% of the guys & girls over here (French Alps) seem to use them

What's the difference between the 2's and 3's?..just weight? And if I bought a used pair I'm presuming I can just pick up a set of cleats and swap them with the SPD cleats on my current shoes (Spesh Tahoe)? Or should cleat and mech 'wear' together from new?

Trek Session 8
  • lostboysaint
    No idea. I run two pairs of 2s. Although one are the older "DX" style, the others are the new slightly more rounded and plastic ones. I prefer the look of the older ones but both are fantastic in use.

You can pick up cleats anywhere. DO NOT be tempted to try running SPD cleats (some do) as you'll find that they can engage quite well but certainly don't disengage too well.

Also, when you get your cleats, you can set them up to release at a shallow or broader angle (can't remember what they are). I tend to set them up to release at the narrow angle as it obviously takes less movement and the pedals then start feeling like you're almost riding a flat, it's so easy to disengage for a dab etc.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • felix.london
    Cheers - all useful stuff. The price of the cleats by themselves almost makes it worth just getting a new pair of 2's from Bike-Discount (about £50) - especially seeing as you get that 5 year warranty.

Trek Session 8
  • lostboysaint
    I've just found the CB Mallet 2 (mk2) box. The release angles are 15 deg or 20 deg. Basically you put them in different shoes to give the angle required (READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!).
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • felix.london
    Ordered.

68950.jpg

Cheers for your help.

Trek Session 8
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Bit late now but i farking hate CB pedals. So easy to accidentally unclip given there's no tension, and they are badly made. My old pair farked up internally after just 6 months of light use and unwound off the crank arm mid alpine descent. Could of been worse cos thankfully i didnt fly off the hillside, but it did write my crank arm off and mess my leg and head up badly.

Never again.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I agree, I had spd's for years but thought I'd give some CB's a try, lasted a couple of months and went back to Shimano. I didn't have any reliability issues with the CB but they just feel awful IMO
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    They're sloppy, there isn't a positive engagement. Not good for DH if you ask me. It's a recipe for an accidental unclip waiting to happen.

Seriously if you still can, send them back.
  • felix.london
    Ha! Great! Well like I say - most of the guys over here seem to use them so they can't be that bad and the five year warranty seems good. Can always go back to the SPD's if I don't get on with them but cheers for the heads-up

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london

Trek Session 8