Route Advice - Mill Hill Broadway to the City

WesternWay
WesternWay Posts: 564
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi,

It looks like I am going to have to change my normal commute a bit, I normally cycle from Barnet to the City down the A1000 and then the A1, but am going to have to start in Mill Hill Broadway a couple of times/week. (dropping daughter off at train station, parking and cycling in)

Does anyone do this? It looks like the options are A1 or A5. The A1 up there must be horrible, is the A5 any better?

George

Comments

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    George,

It appears that we go the same way. (well the barnet bit anyway).

I'd avoid the A1 and the A5 altogether if I were you. Head towards Finchley Central and pick up the Finchley road from there, or head over to Hampsted if you want some climbing.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Slurp
    Slurp Posts: 220
    From M.H Station I'd head down Bunn's Lane...Devonshire Rd. towards Hendon. At Holders Hill Circus you could go via Dollis Rd., Nether St (uphill) and then back down Finchley Road. Cross Henley's Corner and first left into Addison Way. Wend your way through Hampstead Garden Suburb till you get to Winnington Rd, another hill. At the top turn left on Hampstead Lane till you get to Highgate Village then steep downhill takes you back to Holloway Rd (A1). I do similar every morning (but starting from Hendon). You can finesse with a map, of course.
    ---
    If I\'m not making any sense, it\'s because I\'m incoherent.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    Thanks Both, I wimped out and as I was in the car to drop daughter I drove essentially back over to Barnet, and down my route a bit to try and catch up some time. This was obviously a mistake and I won't do it again :-)

Awesome ride home last night though wasn't it? I managed to go up Archway Hill at 15mph, which for a big fat man is pretty good :-)