Triban 5 upgrade

goffski
goffski Posts: 72
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Had the bike for about 6 months now and after about 2500 miles thought i'd make a few upgrades to the bike.

Picked the wheels up at Xmas as they were reduced (Planet X), i know i could have got more for my money but i thought these would look cool! Spotted some white Michelin Pro 4 tyres on offer somewhere and thought these would look good and keep the white theme going. New fi'zi:k seat, picked this up for less than half price in Decathlon along with some new white bar tape. I'd been itching to get it all put on but was holding out for the weather to pick up.

Before;

triban_before_01.jpg

After;

triban_after_01.jpg

Comments

• Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Looking good fella ... Best looking T5 I've seen ;)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • Looks smart. :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Looks cool,do like the wheels and tyre combo..
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • kilo
    kilo Posts: 174
    wheels look nice but your saddle position looks a bit odd
  • whitestar1
    whitestar1 Posts: 530
    awesome! I am surprised that the white wheels would look so good.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
    http://www.whitestar1.co.uk
  • degsy46
    degsy46 Posts: 16
    Looks good I've got a Triban 5 also, great to see how different it can look.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    kilo wrote:

Agree, looks like you could do with a set back seat post and/or longer stem/get rid of spacers.

Wheels look the biz, though white walls are a bit overkill. I would go with red pro4's, ultremos etc. to complement, or even tan walls if you can find a clincher with them!; they look good on everything.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • whitestar1
    Philly8mt wrote:
    Looking good fella ... Best looking T5 I've seen ;)

You are right it is the best looking T5 I have seen. How did you get on with the pedals? I had hell with mine.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • goffski
    kilo wrote:

Yes, you're right, i'd just cleaned the bike, put the new wheels, inner tubes, tyres and seat on by which time it was starting to go dark and was rushing to get a photo while it was nice and clean/new. I did relise after all the excitement i'd just stuck the seat on and not even put it into the correct position :oops: . It is positioned more like photo 1 and the fitting feels fine to me but not knowing anything else it probably could be improved.
    doug5_10 wrote:

Wheels look the biz, though white walls are a bit overkill. I would go with red pro4's, ultremos etc. to complement, or even tan walls if you can find a clincher with them!; they look good on everything.

I'm pretty happy with the full white look, although not so white at the min, needs a good clean.
    whitestar1 wrote:

How did you get on with the pedals? I had hell with mine.

Pedals were fine, had now problems getting use to them. I've just put some Shimano SPD's on my MTB and it's took me longer to get use to these even tho they're double sided.
  • jackzR
    jackzR Posts: 9
    goffski wrote:
    Had the bike for about 6 months now and after about 2500 miles thought i'd make a few upgrades to the bike.

Picked the wheels up at Xmas as they were reduced (Planet X), i know i could have got more for my money but i thought these would look cool! Spotted some white Michelin Pro 4 tyres on offer somewhere and thought these would look good and keep the white theme going. New fi'zi:k seat, picked this up for less than half price in Decathlon along with some new white bar tape. I'd been itching to get it all put on but was holding out for the weather to pick up.

Before;

triban_before_01.jpg

After;

triban_after_01.jpg

what are those wheels called mate?

how much were they ?

thanks fellow t5
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Well done on going for some upgrades ;-)

If I am honest though its just too much white and it looks a bit like an albino T5.

Seat looks soooooo much better.

The wheels look really good (especially if the white is a good match with the frame) with the white/black/red combo and deeper section, but think the bar tape and tyres need to be more subtile.

How about black bar tape with white hoods to complement seat, or black with red hoods.
    There can be quite a lot of variation in black tape and think it would look good up close if you get a quality one with a good finish.
    Double wrapping it might feel/look good too.

Black tyres with a bit of red lettering might be good too. Have you tried the white wheels with your old tyres on?

http://www.slanecycles.com/images/schwa ... -white.jpg
    http://www.bicycletires.com/imagesLarge/scuzx2-1.jpg

Is that a phone in the first pic? A nice little Garmin would look a lot nicer on the stem IMO.
  • Sodafarl
    Sodafarl Posts: 118
    Have to agree with most posters probably the best looking T5 I have seen.
    Great job, good luck keeping it clean. :wink:
  • goffski
    jackzR wrote:
    what are those wheels called mate?

how much were they ?

thanks fellow t5

They're Shimano RS30's. Picked them up for Planet X for about £130.00.
    Carbonator wrote:

If I am honest though its just too much white and it looks a bit like an albino T5.

Thanks for the input. I'm happy with the way it looks, i replaced the black bar tape with the with the white and think it does look better but i never thought of changing the hoods. Maybe try that next time i change the tape.

Never tried the old tyres but again, they're in pretty good nick so might try them at some point.
    Carbonator wrote:

Is that a phone in the first pic? A nice little Garmin would look a lot nicer on the stem IMO.

Yes, it's an iPhone. At the min the iPhone will do although a little big on the stem. The Garmin will be next when i've got a bit of spare cash. :D
    Sodafarl wrote:
    Have to agree with most posters probably the best looking T5 I have seen.
    Great job, good luck keeping it clean. :wink:

It's a right pain in the ass! I have found Autoglym is awesome for getting rid of marks that don't wash off and little scratches on the frame.
  • whitestar1
    I have the same setup for my iPhone too with the intention to upgrade to a Garmin 510.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011