Beginner - Change of forks?

Stray
Stray Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi, this is my first post - apologies if I'm in the wrong section.

I'm a bit of a newbie to MTB, I love my bike but the forks are utterly GASH!
I'd like something of higher quality and that would raise the front of the bike slightly if possible.

I have no idea what would or wouldn't fit so looking for some advice on this.
The bike currently has V Brakes and I'm happy with these so the forks will need to have fixings for them

Wheeler 5000 CZX

20130414_191323_zps1829ae68.jpg

EDIT - I should add that I'll be looking for used forks, not new!

Thanks! :D

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Hi

Without being patronising/having a go; the whole bike is gash.

You'd be better saving and buying something better - £200 is where you should be looking on the second hand market for an entry level hardtail but there are some bargains out there. There is a good guide at the top of the 'beginners' section of this forum.

RE 'raising the front end', you should note that longer forks aren't necessarily the right thing to do this. They'll alter the geometry of the whole bike.

If you purely want to raise the front end of the bike, try bars with a higher rise, or a riser stem.

Hope this helps
  • Stray
    Hi, thanks for your reply.

What's wrong with the rest of the bike? It seems a waste to give up on it, I really enjoy riding it! The forks just let it down. Shimano LX brakes and gears Fox Vanilla shock, I thought all that stuff was OK for entry level...maybe not?
    Don't want a hardtail.

The whole lifting up the front thing - I had a go on my mates bike (Sunn Radical with Fox Fortys on the front) It felt really nice on the steeper parts of my local trails. It feels like its leaning back slightly. Does that make any sense?

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The fork and shock look too long for it - the bottom bracket seems to be raised.

It is an old full suspension frame with a design (URT), that is not made any more. It was supposed to have a fork with 3 inches of travel. V brake forks are hard to get nowadays.
  • Stray
    OK thanks for your advice. I will just leave it as it is, I'm having fun with it and I guess that's what matters at the end of the day :)
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Aye that is not wrong