Dead frogs on the road today.

banditvic
banditvic Posts: 549
edited April 2013 in Road general
Seen about 10 dead frogs on the road today over a 25 mile ride anyone else notice.

Comments

• Funny you should say that, I noticed it too, is it some form of Frog Cult mass suicide? Will there be a shortage of frogs this year?
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” Hunter S Thompson
  • Rod11
    Rod11 Posts: 293
    Funny, I was actually thinking the same thing, I'm in the Borders and saw a few on Saturday
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    banditvic wrote:
    Seen about 10 dead frogs on the road today over a 25 mile ride anyone else notice.

I must confess on reading that headline I was imagining mass suicide by riders of a French disposition ..... :D
    Regards
    Alan
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Yes - loads out on the roads this morning in Shropshire. I suspect it is the wetter weather plus higher temperature.

Pete
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Warm weather brings them out of winter hibernation - have heard of people crashing due to hitting a flattened amphibian on the road
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Isnt this like a sign of the end of times? Quick everyone on your bikes not much time left!!!
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It's a spring thing, they are all literally shagged out.

Fact.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,897
    frogs and toads have home ponds

when it's their sexeh tiem they follow the same routes every year to return to the pond

unfortunately humans came along and put roads across some of these routes
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Nah, plague of boils next
  • We're the not all "kermitting" suicide.

I'll get me coat.
  • Were they not all "kermitting" suicide.

I'll get me coat.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Plenty round this way as well, I noticed too that they had all managed to die splayed out in the 'star' position. Not sure why I mention it but it stuck in my mind!
  • I have accidently run over a frog before in the New Forest. They make a distinct popping sound, and unlike slugs they don't end up covering your tyres and sliming up your front brake caliper. Must be due to high internal pressure of a frog.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    I usually do a walk at the end of March and there is a stretch of about a mile where there's a bit of water on the side of the road. Every year there are literally hundreds of them squashed and it's a narrow, single track road that has next to no traffic. I think they come out at night to mate and just get run over, a lot of them are still in piggyback formation. One car must right off dozens.
  • We get a lot of dead bunnies in our village, that is much worse to see.

Take the frogs home and be French with them!
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    Oh yeah ! On my way to work this morning ,Yes people have to work weekends!
    I had to dodge a dead frog on my commute ,Iucky I was on my MTB?
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Went out for a ride early feb and saw hundreds of live and dead frogs for a 10 mile stretch...twas weird.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Only seen a few on the roads by us but think the colder weather may have had a effect on them, then again might be wrong and just been on different roads to last year where over 2 weekends saw quite a few squashed by vehicles on the road
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.