Rate the Race - Amstel Gold

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Just getting it kicked off.

Poll will run for 5 days.

Re-voting allowed
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    I've gone for 8/10, one notch up from what I gave Paris-Roubaix. There was lots of attacking, quality individual riding and the result could have gone several ways right up until the last few hundred metres. Exactly how the Ardennes Classics should be.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    6/10
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    There's no way I can give a race that was this poor prior to the 20km mark more than five.

The last 20km were great, mind you.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    ThomThom wrote:
    There's no way I can give a race that was this poor prior to the 20km mark more than five.

What exactly do you expect to see before the last 20km on a hilly 6.5 hour long race? There was a very good break away group that looked like it stood a chance then a lone rider who rode strongly then a few counter attacks. You must live in a permanent state of disappointment when you watch bike races!
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

What exactly do you expect to see before the last 20km on a hilly 6.5 hour long race?

I was wondering the same thing. Although I'd bump the cut off up to 40km.

Just out of interest ThomThom what scale do you use for judging races? Is a 5/10 average for instance? Or is that poor on your scale?
  • thomthom
    I expected nothing before the last 20km. That's why I think and always have thought it's a rather poor race.

I like cycling - so a 5/10 would be quite a negative score.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,174
    ThomThom wrote:
    I expected nothing before the last 20km. That's why I think and always have thought it's a rather poor race.

I like cycling - so a 5/10 would be quite a negative score.

But in any hilly race of that length what do you expect before the final 20km?
  • thomthom
    edited April 2013
    Pross wrote:
    ThomThom wrote:

What exactly do you expect to see before the last 20km on a hilly 6.5 hour long race? There was a very good break away group that looked like it stood a chance then a lone rider who rode strongly then a few counter attacks. You must live in a permanent state of disappointment when you watch bike races!

No, I don't. I just don't see any reason why I should be overwhelmed about everything when I, in fact, thought it was a poor race. I've seen plenty of brilliant races in the first months of this season and I have expressed that as well in the race threads.

Come on.. Using a 'morning breakaway' as a highlight.. I think that just proves my point.

I'm well aware that we won't have exellent racing for 200km or so - I have seen enough cycling to know that.. - but 20km of action in a classic? No one tried to make it hard for anyone in the peloton - it was just pure cruise control until the last 20km. I think It's an avarage route (good decision with the new finish) that leaves little to offer for the riders to do anything excting. I really don't see the wrong in that. Fleche Wallone is somewhat the same.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I thought it was really good, but personally, it didn't provide the excitement of Paris Roubaix, which I only gave a 7/10 to, so I'm going to have to give this a 6/10.

I think I've spent too long at Uni, and the maximum mark I can give anything is 80%
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I actually fell asleep and woke up with 20k left to go so it sounds like I did the right thing!
  • confused@BR
    confused@BR Posts: 295
    Lovely race, warm sunshine, what's not to like?

Oh! and a brave winner.
    'fool'
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    A slightly generous 7/10 for me, although would have been 1/10 had Valverde and Gerrans* caught Kreuziger...

* and no, I don't suspect Gerrans of being a cheat like Valverde, I've just really taken against him as a rider. Don't know why, just the way it happens sometimes...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Thought it was OK myself.

Expect a breakaway on these longer hilly types of courses & was not surprised when it got out to 11 minutes. Plus after a few crashes causing a break up of the peloton the inevitable chase was on which brought that gap right down allowing for some more people to attempt to bridge over.

Good to see a few riders who have struggled doing better & hopefully will be a sign for this week & coming weekend of some quality racing.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.