Can you jump multiple gears with SRAM Rival shifters?

Redwards5
Redwards5 Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in Road general
Hello bike people,

Can you jump down multiple gears in one go with SRAM Rival shifters?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Yes, you can't jump up multiple gears though.
  • Thank you for your reply. Is it quite easy to change multiple gears, because you have to push it over far to just change 1 gear using the double system do you have to push the one lever over really far in order to do multiple?
  • gloomyandy
    gloomyandy Posts: 520
    It's not really that far, but yes you do have to push it further for multiple cogs. I think RED will let you change about 4 in one go, not sure about Rival.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Rival lets you shift one sprocket at a time to go to a smaller sprocket (ie. harder gear). It also lets you shift up to 3 gears up when shifting to a larger sprocket (ie. easier gear). This is for the rear shifter by the way.

I personally love double-tap having recently moved from Tiagra to Rival.
  • Thanks for your reply, I guess that's why I'm asking as I'm debating between shimano 105 and SRAM rival
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    If you're unsure then the best thing to do would be to see if you can test ride two bikes with both shifters.

Both systems work great. It really boils down to personal preference.
  • With SRAM you hold the shifter fully over and it will shift down up to three sprockets in one - dead easy to use once you get used to it.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you prefer the shifting then go double tap and if you need a shorter throw I believe it can be adjusted or just buy the red shifters.