Dave lloyd bike

fill_uk
fill_uk Posts: 52
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Hi,

I've been looking for a cheap second hand road bike as a first road bike as my main (well only other) bike is a hybrid and i'm feeling the disadvantages of it when i use it on my 13 mile commute. When i say cheap i mean sub 100 as i don't mind it being an older bike that may need some work doing to it.

One has gone up for sale local to me that looks like it might be okay. Its a Dave Lloyd Stealth. I've established that Dave Llyod used to be a racer and is now a coach i'm assuming its his name lent to the bike? Does anyone know a bit more about this brand/bike?

I should add that so far i have seen a photo of it and know the size its described as 'well used'. I'm going to look at it at some point but i don't yet know its full spec or condition.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    What's wrong with your hybrid?

You could blow half your entire budget on two new lighter/slicker/narrower tyres and make your hybrid less 'disadvantageous' .

Obviously if you just want a new bike, get one :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • fill_uk
    True, mainly the tyres could be slicker and i'd like dropped bars as i get numb hands on the flat bars after a while i dont want to change the hybrid too much though as i use it for leisure rides with my kids at weekedns for which i find it perfect, and it's made a good commuter in winter when a road bike might have been a bit hairy.

Plus i want a new bike...
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    he was a racer and did use to organise the dave lloyd mega challenge sportive.

Stealth would suggest it is a time trial bike, could be wrong as Ribble had a stealth but that was due its stealthy black colour. If you can try and see the bike - he used to ride for a club near me and youre probably looking at a frame size 58-60, thats if they built a frame round his size - if it a frame with his name just decalled on then it could be any size - so try to see it in the flesh if you can - for no other reason than if it is a TT bike it probably wouldnt be most peoples choices for a communtes steed.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • fill_uk
    Thanks, i'm going to have a look at it tonight, the person selling it said its a 23 inch frame so a touch over 58cm.
  • Dellsinho
    Dellsinho Posts: 100
    fill_uk wrote:
    ..<said stuff>..and I'd like dropped bars as I get numb hands on the flat bars after a while..<said some more stuff>

Get some stubby bar ends on your hybrid to help with your numb hands problem. Gives more hand positions and cost under a tenner :)
    Canyon Roadlite
    Boardman Hybrid
    Dolan FXE
  • team47b wrote:
    What's wrong with your hybrid?

Much quicker if he just says what's right about it.
  • fill_uk
    Much quicker if he just says what's right about it.

The hybrid is alright but i didn't buy it as a commuter i got it for weekend rides with the family and then tried commuting to see if i could do it and ended up doing a lot more commuting than i imagined. That was a year ago and as the year has progressed i have started to really see the pros and cons of that bike. For its original use its fine for commuting it is lacking as I've said.

Getting a second bike will be good also as i will have a backup bike, if i get this bike i'm looking at and it needs some work doing i think ill be more confident doing the work myself rather than taking it in a shop as i know i'll have a bike to ride still while i figure out the work if anything doesn't go to plan.