Train etiquette

fallingoff
fallingoff Posts: 332
edited April 2013 in Commuting general
What is the etiquette regarding full size cycles on trains,I may be travelling from Paddington to Oxford in the near future,First Great Western trains.
I understand rush hour is a no no,but thats not an issue for me,are there special carriages,a cycle ticket,prior booking,etc,?any info would be appreciated..I have searched the net but I find conflicting answers,thank you... :D

Comments

• Should be okay. Depends on the train. If it's an intercity one, then there are special "bike cabins" at one or both (can;t remember) of the train. These are marked, so leave the bike there, and then grab a seat in another carriage.

If it's a "normal" commuter train, there tend to be bike racks in some of the carriages, so you can plonk them there. Or, if unavailable, I would just stand with the bike in the vestibule, so that you can move it when people need to get on or off. No extra charge, just don't travel during rush hour (about 7 to 10am London bound, or 4 to 7pm outward bound)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Not sure what people are like on First Great Western, but around here it's common to get on with your bike and find the bike area full of luggage (next to an empty luggage rack) so you might need to be prepared to do some rearranging.

If you know what train you need to get I'd advise reserving a space. I was once refused entry to a train because I didn't have a reservation (despite there being space). The guard insisted reservations were compulsory which they weren't.
  • timbo58
    timbo58 Posts: 27
    Intercity (the best company that ever ran GW etc IMHO! :P ) (HST type -7 or 8 coaches fixed formation)
    The cycle accommodation is in the TGS (should normally be the furthest end from the concourse at Paddington -check to see/hear if the train is in 'reverse formation') coach 'A' (unless FGW have in their infinite wisdom renamed everything since I was a guard there 4+ years ago).
    It has 6 spaces and that's the (rulebook) limit unless the guard is happy to take more: worth reserving this (FOC) on busier trains/peak.
    DON'T put the bike in the vestibules on these trains, even if it looks like there is space: that's a complete NO-NO and blocks emergency evacuation- Surfers do this constantly and it's a PITA.

As Thistle says reservations are NOT compulsory AFAIAA, however the guard may well have had reservations for a later stage of the same journey, so definitely worth reserving.

If it's a 180 they also have cycle accommodation but it's 3 cycles (hung up only) in both ends -total 6. these are 5 coach fixed formation trains.

If it's a 'Turbo' they have accommodation within the train -usually 2 or 3 adjacent to the DSB toilet IIRC? (didn't work these).

If you get a timetable it should show you the type of train it is.
    HTH
  • fallingoff
    fallingoff Posts: 332
    Thanks for all ther replies,it'll be a lesiurely ride ride so if we get refused for any reason we can catch an alternative.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    You need a reservation for bikes on peak trains into and out of Paddington, there's a special carriage for this purpose at the front/back of each service but limited places.

Its free but book early and dont expect them to let you on a peak train otherwise, off peak you can if you're lucky bring it onto the actually carriage in the weird small luggage/bike space.

Be prepared for endless cancellations and delays - welcome to Worst Great Western
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Get a Brompton :)
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875