Rapha kit?

2»

Comments

• petemadoc
    petemadoc Posts: 2,331
    Ben6899 wrote:
    I'd buy it if I had free access to Vtech's bank account but at the price it is pitched I can't justify it. Anything close to £100 can only go on cycling hardware in my psyche.

However, I'm lucky enough to be in a bike club that has good quality subsidised Giordana kit thanks to our sponsor Appleby.

Giordana kit is very good. I have two pairs of bibs - one "normal" weight and one summer weight (with the perforated thigh panels) alongside a few other pairs and more notably - keeping OT - my Rapha bibs. The Giordana and Rapha pairs fit like a glove, but the Rapha ones are certainly wearing in rather than out. You can tell I've worn the Giordana kit.

But then the prices vary wildly!

I saw some Giordana rain "resistant" bibs at a good price yesterday and nearly bought them. Was thinking of rainy races where your ar5e crack has a shower jet blasted at it.

Anyone any experience?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    I ve not used those specific ones, but I ve used the Endura equivalents off road. To be honest they re good for riding through the odd puddle or on a slightly wet day. However, in the rain they just get wet from the top anyway or some spray will get around it eventually...

If they re 5/10 more than the standard ones then you may find them useful, but any more than that and I'd leave it tbh...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I took the plunge with Rapha last year buying quite a few items, winter jersey, gilet, arm warmers and some ss jerseys and cap.

I have to say they are the best pieces of cycling clothing that I have. The feel of sportwool against your skin and how it performs, is a million times better than any synthetic material. I have other great looking jerseys, like the Yellow SKY edition and some Campag tops that look great but for function the Rapha stuff is immense.

I may not be the best cyclist out there but I enjoy what I do and I tend to buy my gear off ebay so I hardly ever pay full price. Only the arm warmers, cap and ss jersey were bought new from Rapha. At the discounted price I have paid for the other items, no other clothing can come close.

I recently bought my first pair of Assos bibs and personally I cannot tell the difference between them and my others by Craft and DHB. With Rapha, I can definitely tell the difference.

Haters will hate and even between people wearing Rapha there is animosity reflected by the number of people blanking me on Saturday in Richmond Park. Their loss.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875