Had to happen some time I suppose...

Mikey41
Mikey41 Posts: 690
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
After surviving the icy weather without a scratch and nearly 900 miles on the bike, I crashed this morning on the way to work. A greasy damp cycle path caught me out and dumped me at about 5mph.

I'm nursing some road rash on hip and arm, and bruised ribs. I think I've bent the rear hanger slightly and scuffed the right shifter, got off a bit lightly all things considered.

Ouch :(
Giant Defy 2 (2012)
Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
Strava

Comments

• elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Bad luck dude.Least no bad injuries and bike doesn,t sound to badly damaged.That,s the first one out the way if nothing else.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Those low speed ones tend to really hurt, I had my first off on the road in years a few weeks back at about 12mph and went down heavily on my right side but bizarrely my left thumb has taken the brunt of the fall and the base of the thumb is still sore.
  • Glad to hear your ok! I've only just started riding a road bike (jan this year) and had done about 800 miles with no problems and then on the way to work about a month ago I slipped off my bike on a bridge at about 20mph stung like mad and hit my face. My bike was fine so I was lucky. Then on bank holiday Monday I went out first thing I only got about half a mile hit a pothole and came off again at a 19mph knocked myself out and ended up at A and E for 3 hours. The bikes a mess. I thourght I was being very carefull after the first off but some times these thing just happen. Hope fully with the weather getting better we can all stay upright :D
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    Well, I think I'll be off the bike a little. Considering the forecast up here consists of very wet and windy, that's no bad thing. The hanger has straightened OK and everything checks out, but do you think I should just replace the hanger anyway?

Ribs and shoulder are very sore now, feels as if I've pulled all the muscles down my right side, but I guess it's just bruising. 11 hour shift at work tommorrow. Joy :lol:
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • nick1972
    nick1972 Posts: 144
    It's good your ok. I had a close encounter with white van man about 2 weeks ago. I clipped the kerb after he got a bit close and ended up with a broken arm. Just as the weather improves I'm off the bike..