Not shifting up properly

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I took my bike in to my LBS earlier today to get some minor work done. In addition I asked them to change the position of my remote lockout. This meant removing the brake and gear shift units and due to the size of the handlebars, the shifter cable.

It was reattached and the gears sorted......or so I thought. I didn't really notice until half way home but I could shift down without issue, but shifting up was sluggish or didn't respond or seemed to jump. As Im off to Swinley early tomorrow the LBS won't be open. Anyone have any suggestions for what it could be so I can try and fix it myself ?

I did wonder if it was because of the weather.

Comments

• might be a gear cable routing issue, check the cable lines, try lubing the inners?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bit of adjusting - read 'Read this first' below.
    ps to clarify, up is to a smaller cog? If so cables a likely suspect.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • echowitch
    Problem solved - When they removed the gear cable from the mech to reposition everything on the handle bars it pulled the cable through the protective sheath. Only part of the cable is covered/sealed and an exposed gunky part was pulled through. Et voila it kept skipping. They removed the whole cable and clean it and the sections of cover and it's all working fine now. I shall replace the lot later on to fully seal the entire length of cable. Why bike manufacturers don't do this in the first place is a mystery :?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Because it is rubbish and not needed.
  • echowitch
    Bearing in mind the amount of gunk that gets on my exposed gear cables that affect my shifting gears.......my bike would strongly disagree with you Chunkers ;)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Correctly cared for cables are a better solution than the inevitable indexing compromise that arrives with replacing a length of near infinte stiffness frame with some wibbly wobbly outer!

Without some poor workmanship your bike wouldn't have had the issue......ergo, fix the workmanship!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.