C02 pumps???

Whufcrule
Whufcrule Posts: 131
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Alright lads I was out on a ride today 41 miles into a 60 mike ride and got a puncture on the front I had two spare inner tubes with me but the small pump I had was a crank brothers hand held thing u reckon I'd off been there an hour or more trying to pump that bloody tire up so I had to call for a lift home as I was starting to get really really cold as I'd been out in the rain for 2 hours I was wondering if any one got any views on these co2 pumps I've seen advertised are they any good and can u recommend a good one thanks lads

Comments

• "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • Peter91
    Peter91 Posts: 16
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-co2-ty ... artridges/

Another option there. I used it for the first time yesterday, worked well. 2 punctures on a 50 mile ride; 0 to about 120 psi in a few seconds, so much easier than a pump.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I've had several basic models and they all make the job simple, easy and quick. Don't bother carrying a normal pump anymore.
  • Careful cycling first, tough tyres second, decent pump third. CO2 is wasteful and unnecessary unless you're racing or holding up a group; and even in the latter instance the time it takes to inflate with a mini pump could well be equivalent to the difference between the puncture fixing times of cyclists with different levels of experience. My trusty Zefal HPX doesn't take long to inflate a tyre, but my Gatorskin tyres prevent them from happening in the first place. ;)
  • DT1999
    DT1999 Posts: 17
    Co2 works well but you have to remember that c02 does leek out through a normal inner tube so always carry a hand pump if you are doing any distance.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    You would have to be on a multi-day ride to notice the CO2 leeching out of the inner tube, but DT1999 is correct, always replace the CO2 the next day with air using a track pump.

Remember, if you carry 2 spare tubes, you will need at least 2 cartridges. 1 16g cartridge = 1 road tire. See the chart in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12911550

As I said in that thread - In my experience, products with a screw holding something in place, like the one below, end up with the screw coming loose and then the part coming off in your hand. It happened to me twice and a friend who also had the same one.
    bontrager-air-rush-co2-regulator.jpg
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    CO2 is wasteful and unnecessary...
    If you want to carry a full size pump there may not be that much difference but it would take me 20 times as long to pump up a tyre using my mini pump compared to using CO2, that's if I managed not to snap the valve off the tyre while doing so. I don't think I could even get up to 120psi using my mini pump.

CO2 inflators weigh very little and are quick and easy to use. I like them.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    As many experienced cyclists attest, CO2 isn't 100% reliable and what happens if you run out of gas? I'd only use CO2 during a race where I need rapid inflation, for everything else I use decent, reliable pump - full-size frame pump or Lezyne Micro HP is my favoured choice.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • oceheb
    oceheb Posts: 124
    From my experience the co2 inflator not worth it. Inflates only to 40-60 psi, need few cartridges, and comparing to small pumps are heavy. Now I got one of these:Lezyne Drive Mini Pump
  • acidstrato
    acidstrato Posts: 945
    I carry one or the other but def at least 2 spare cartridges when just carrying the co2.
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • lotus49 wrote:
    CO2 is wasteful and unnecessary...
    If you want to carry a full size pump there may not be that much difference but it would take me 20 times as long to pump up a tyre using my mini pump compared to using CO2, that's if I managed not to snap the valve off the tyre while doing so. I don't think I could even get up to 120psi using my mini pump.

CO2 inflators weigh very little and are quick and easy to use. I like them.

A framefit pump is by far the best way to reinflate when out, and can be made to fit on most frames. CO2 may work, but without justification (racing), it is irresponsible to use it. Get an HPX and inflate happy. ;)
  • oceheb wrote:
    From my experience the co2 inflator not worth it. Inflates only to 40-60 psi, need few cartridges, and comparing to small pumps are heavy. Now I got one of these:Lezyne Drive Mini Pump

Your experience differs to mine. My £5 CO2 pump gives a fully inflated tyre in seconds (16g).
    We had 7 punctures :shock: on today's club ride and the CO2 was noticeably quicker.

Nothing against a decent pump but the CO2 option seems to make sense.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • it is irresponsible to use it.

:mrgreen:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • crikey
    crikey Posts: 362
    Use CO2 with caution though; it is easy to blow the tyre and tube off the rim if it isn't properly seated, and the expanding gas freezes the cartridge, so when used with a wet glove it can be somewhat embarrassing...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If there's water in the tyre valve, the CO2 freezes it open and what you put in comes straight back out again. Been on a club run where we had about 15 punctures and ran out of gas - luckily I had a frame fit pump.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Gizmodo wrote:
    You would have to be on a multi-day ride to notice the CO2 leeching out of the inner tube, but DT1999 is correct, always replace the CO2 the next day with air using a track pump.

Remember, if you carry 2 spare tubes, you will need at least 2 cartridges. 1 16g cartridge = 1 road tire. See the chart in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=40020&t=12911550

As I said in that thread - In my experience, products with a screw holding something in place, like the one below, end up with the screw coming loose and then the part coming off in your hand. It happened to me twice and a friend who also had the same one.
    bontrager-air-rush-co2-regulator.jpg

I bought one of these regulators - complete waste of time. First tried to use it when I had a puncture and the damn thing wouldn't seal to the valve so all the CO2 was wasted. Then when I got back realised the screw had some out so the knob was loose. Also bought a cheap MOSA inflator (£4.99) which you just push onto the valve, seems easier to use.

I always carry a a pump too (Lezyne Pressure Drive Mini Pump)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I have a mini pump that I can unscrew the head part so it's small enough to fit in a saddle bag, it works as a normal pump and a c02 inflater. Bought it a few years back but it's the best of both worlds, use the c02 and if I run out of cartridges use the pump.