Britain's got talent

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited April 2013 in The cake stop
The Mongfest starts again, time to go put me head in a vice or sommat equally as entertaining.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Flog your tv and put on 6music or Radio 3, it's what I did a few years ago now. Puts me in a strange postition really, no longer a license fee payer but I'd hate to lose the two things I just mentioned!
  • Subjective word, talent. When HQ is rotting her brains out with that rubbish, I hit youtube to find some examples of what I call talent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37EWVY8D6g0

Not only is that impossible cool, it is also actual talent. There used to be a 720p recording on youtube, but it's gone.

Then, watch Stevie at her tortured best, live in '82... God, but that girl could wail;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGykwC0fdJ4

And then the awesomeness of Ed Shaughnessy's lamb chops. Some decent drumming too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QXdi25469U
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    You curmudgeonly gits. This is from tonight's show and if it don't stir you then you are officially dead, like Margaret.

Admittedly they're not British, but hey what talent.
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    You curmudgeonly gits. This is from tonight's show and if it don't stir you then you are officially dead, like Margaret.

Clever stuff!

Not British either, but I can't imagine any of our lot being as talented as the winner of Ukraine's got Talent
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Frank the tank

I admit I did see that and it moved me to tears, and the woman who sang at the end was superb.

It is one of those programmes that goes from the sublime to the ridiculous to the you ought to be certified. I know it's about entertainment but crikey, looking at some of the entrants I feel like I'm looking in on a freak show and seeking entertainment by mocking those less fortunate.

If the show only contained genuine talent as those two acts exemplify I would find the show far more enjoyable.
    Tail end Charlie

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

I admit I did see that and it moved me to tears, and the woman who sang at the end was superb.

It is one of those programmes that goes from the sublime to the ridiculous to the you ought to be certified. I know it's about entertainment but crikey, looking at some of the entrants I feel like I'm looking in on a freak show and seeking entertainment by mocking those less fortunate.

If the show only contained genuine talent as those two acts exemplify I would find the show far more enjoyable.

I too saw it and have to admit that there were some talented acts on display. There were also the deluded souls who were just there to be held up to public ridicule. As usual, the finals week will not display the acts based solely on merit, but an eclectic mix, containing no hopers.
    That is the nature of the beast. It is primarily entertainment, and the public seem to lap up people making fools of themselves.
  • Frank the tank
    The sad thing is some of them don't realise they're making fools of themselves and that is where (for me) it loses any entertainment value.

BTW, the young lad with cerebral palsy was funny and an inspiration to others. One in the eye for the PC brigade when he was mocking himself.
    Tail end Charlie

• solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    I must admit I am usually on the outside of the tent p***ing in as far as the talent shows are concerned.
    But I was having a flick round the channels when I chanced on Alice Fredenham singing.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChJ6eO3k48

Bloody hell she is good one of the most sultry voices I've heard in a long time
    She would definitely get a YES from me!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    BGT is quality TV. When I was a kid I remember watching live at the palladium or similar and loved it, this just sliced up tat with excellence. You can smile, be moved and impressed all at the same time.
    Living MY dream.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    I must admit I am usually on the outside of the tent p***ing in as far as the talent shows are concerned.
    But I was having a flick round the channels when I chanced on Alice Fredenham singing.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IChJ6eO3k48

Bloody hell she is good one of the most sultry voices I've heard in a long time
    She would definitely get a YES from me!

Just clicked your link.
    Bloody hell she's good indeed!
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I think all singers should be barred from BGT apart from the kids.Thats what the Crap Factor is for.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Frank the tank
    She is fantastic.

I said to Mrs Tank, "She's brilliant, to sing that song and a voice like hers brilliant, NOBODY ever sings that at a karioke".

I reckon she's great, I'd really like her to win. A genuine talent, TBH I just wanted to hug her.
    Tail end Charlie

• Frank the tank
    Davdandy wrote:
    I think all singers should be barred from BGT apart from the kids.Thats what the Crap Factor is for.

The group who came second in last years BGT said they didn't enter X-Factor because they perform their own style of songs and the X-factor demands you sing in various styles I.E. jazz, motown, songs from shows etc. Not their style at all.
    Tail end Charlie

• Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    I liked the young 13 year old Chinese girl who sang,but for me the best act where the guys and gals who did the shadow puppet show where everyone was crying at the end.That is a talent and worthy of going through,and it is something different to the usual tosh we normally get.

Though i still think adult singers should be barred.No matter what the style but i get your point Frank.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Interesting how the phrase "window licker" got jumped on when recently used on this site and yet "Mongfest" goes unchallenged for over 24 hours. Strange double standards by some, does it depend on whether the user of a phrase is part of the Cake Stop / Bottom Bracket brotherhood?
  • random man
    random man Posts: 1,518
    She is fantastic.

I said to Mrs Tank, "She's brilliant, to sing that song and a voice like hers brilliant, NOBODY ever sings that at a karioke".

I reckon she's great, I'd really like her to win. A genuine talent, TBH I just wanted to shag her.

FTFY :wink:
  • Frank the tank
    Pross wrote:
    Interesting how the phrase "window licker" got jumped on when recently used on this site and yet "Mongfest" goes unchallenged for over 24 hours. Strange double standards by some, does it depend on whether the user of a phrase is part of the Cake Stop / Bottom Bracket brotherhood?
    My sincere apologies, I more than anyone should be aware of such stupid turn of phrase. :oops: :oops:

STUPID/INSENSITIVE ON MY BEHALF.

Sorry.
    Tail end Charlie

• Frank the tank
    random man wrote:
    She is fantastic.

I reckon she's great, I'd really like her to win. A genuine talent, TBH I just wanted to shag her.

FTFY :wink:
    AS for you my friend she's too young, even for you!

But I would. :D
    Tail end Charlie

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Pross wrote:
    My sincere apologies, I more than anyone should be aware of such stupid turn of phrase. :oops: :oops:

STUPID/INSENSITIVE ON MY BEHALF.

Sorry.
    When I was a kid, 'Mong' was a common insult to be hurled about. Another was 'Homo'. In my naivety, I thought it was 'Omo' *
    Not saying it was right, just saying how it was.
    * Other soap powders are available.
  • Pross
    No problem with me Frank, it just goes to show how easy it is to fall into modern slang without even thinking about it. I was really just making the point on the different reactions between the two posts as I don't think either intended to be offensive.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I love Simon Cowell's face as he hears Alice sing...

There's £$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$£$ in his eyes

Thumbs+Up+from+Simon+Cowell.jpg
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Pross wrote:

Just read this post, you are right. I would have Pm'd Frank because after the last scrap on here was down to me I would have been more subtle this time.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    Where/when does "windowlicker" come from anyway? I have never, ever, in my 33 years of existence, heard anyone use this insult. All I know is that it's a song by Aphex Twin, but I didn't know what it meant until a few weeks ago.
  • I can probably guess, but does it matter?

You're just going to perpetuate the tangent, everyone will get upset, someone will quit the forum only to return three weeks later, and a whole load of internet will be wasted and we'll never get it back.
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    I didn't quit, just thought about it and remained. Thats it really, you are right, big fights over not a lot and I kicked it into overdrive.
    Anyway, back on topic ?

Britains Got Talent is just shite, manipulative and advertising. Crapola. :wink:
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • VTech
    Not that any one of you would listen to me but given the fact that you can't deny that I am always transparent I would like to add that when I read the thread and the. Replied to it, it never crossed my mind that the OP was trying to be offensive. Using words to describe the best and worst we have on offer as a nation in a show like this isn't really seen as offensive when it's written in such a way.
    Uncertainly wasn't offended and I doubt anyone here really was. It's all about how something is said or written and not always what is said or written.
    Common sense should take over just before offence kicks in.
    Living MY dream.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Let's just call it a "sh1tefest" because that is generally what it comes across as. I say "comes across as" as I suspect that there are probably a fair amount of averagely talented people that may go forward and audition but we never see them because they are not super cr@p or super brilliant which means they don't make good voyeuristic TV.

Hungarians, kid singing and confidence-less woman singer at the end were excellent.

Simon Cowell is a tw@t though.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • VTech
    @ MrYellow, voyeuristic, that what the public want. Wether we like to admit it or not its what gets us off.
    It could be who wants to be a millionaire with someone not knowing an answer we do for a vast sum of money, someone falling on their aRS in who's been framed or people with far more confidence than skill on BGT.

Even though the wife doesn't like the concept she does get drawn into the show with me :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Pross
    I never watch BGT but I did hear the one girl's audition on TV this morning and have to say she was excellent, she also seemed quite down to earth which is refreshing on these sorts of things! How she didn't get through an audition for The Voice is bizarre with some of the singers that do make it being average cabaret acts. I suspect whoever does the initial auditions for The Voice is getting asked some testing questions.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

That is good. But it won't win. The winner will be an Olly Murs lookalike in a daft pork pie hat.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/