Buying a XC 29er! NEED SOME HELP DECIDING WHICH ONE!

yourfiend
yourfiend Posts: 4
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi, After my Trek 4300 got stolen im looking for a new bike... After a bit of research ive decided on getting a hardtail 29er:

My options are:

2013 Trek Marlin - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/marlin-2013-mountain-bike-ec042120

2013 Saracen Kili Pro -http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/kili-pro

I really like the look of the Saracen but cant find any reviews to back up my decision... Some help by an expert on here would be fantastic!

Cheers, Dan...

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Trek has a horrible useless undamped fork.
    The Saracen is better but you could do much better for the money.
    Why a 29er?

ps and shouting is rude.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I was gonna get one new on finance, these are the bikes that i was recommended by my local bike shop! Im told the 29ers are the future, have never ridden one myself but after reading the reviews about them i thought i would try one out!

What would you recommend? Im looking at doing the trails at cannock regularly and also a bit of road cycling for fitness... Id also like to branch out and ride other trails around the uk!

Thanks for the reply, looking forward to hearing back from you!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    29ers are not the future. they are just different.

That Trek is awful, the Saracen is poorly specced too.

For £600 this is way better than both:

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b67s2p42 ... %282012%29
  • That cube looks good and the price is good! Although id like to buy from a shop not a website... also they don't have the 18" frame i require or 0 percent finance!
  • cooldad
    If your budget is £650, you could find better bikes at £550/600 and include a bit of interest into the price. Or just buy on credit card/overdraft whatever. 0% finance generally makes up the interest elsewhere - in the price.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    yourfiend wrote:
    That cube looks good and the price is good! Although id like to buy from a shop not a website... also they don't have the 18" frame i require or 0 percent finance!

You might not need an 18 inch though - I guess that is why you need to try them.

What are your local shops?
  • I bought a Cannondale SL3 this time last year and love it. You must try them to see if the size suits you. I tried the equivalent Trek and it just didn't fit. The Cannondale fork isn't impressive and I may change it but otherwise it's a great package.
  • cooldad
    He hasn't been back since his last post.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Adam k
    Adam k Posts: 37
    This is my cube 29er use it for road riding and sometimes round Cannock

20130428_161342.jpg

Try goin to leisure lakes they have good range of bikes